One step forward, two steps back!

-

trebor75

Reaction score
Alright, hard one to explain in english, me being a Swede and all

First: Duster, 1965-273, 340 cam, edelbrock 4bbl intake and 600 carb. eletronic ignition, 727 auto, 8 3/4 with 3.31 sure grip, headers

I've had some trouble tuning it and have had a stumble and hesitation from time to time before it picks up revs. I have done my homework here and have checked for vacum leaks, played with timing and tuned the carb and gotten it to run very well, but still had a bit of hesitation from zero to full throttle.

Well, today I think I cured it. There was a little vacum leak that I had managed to miss. I fixed that and took it for a spin, responded very well and pulled strong.

So far all good! But, when coming to a red light and braking and coming to a stop in gear the engine died on me. it fired right up again though. Then it happened two more times the same way, me braking coming to a stop in gear, engine died (never done this before). The weird thing is, the last time I lost all electrical power when it died on me. It would not turn over. I though It might been because I was not totally in park, so I tried neutral, but nothing. Then I realised I had no power at all. Then after a few moments the oil pressure lamp came back, so the power had returned and I fired it up and took it back to the garage.

I dont know if it could be related but I had set my initial timing really high before I found the vacum leak, around 18-20*. That is all I really did today besides fixing the vacum leak (it was the vacum nossle on the driver side of the edelbrock. my plug had dried up and leaked). The motor did seem to like the timing though because it ran better then ever today. Just wondering of it could be related, but cant really see how.

I've tried to explain best I can, hope it's somewhat comprehensible

I would say double check the carb settings. You may have re-set the mixture a tad lean. Are you sure the floats are set properly?

sounds to me your losing a ground or mybe the fusalble link has a bad conection.if no power at all???..Artie O and make sure the control box has a good ground...

sounds to me your losing a ground or mybe the fusalble link has a bad conection.if no power at all???..Artie O and make sure the control box has a good ground...

^^^^^^^ I Agree could be a ground problem, but more than likely the fusible link.....hope you get it sorted out soon :happy7:

Rickster

What grounds do you have? Should have at least three, neg battery to chassis, neg battery to block and block to firewall. It looks like you have a good thick coat of paint on the engine from looking at your pics, maybe clean up those spots a tad and see if that helps.

Thanks for helping out!

Can someone help me translate "fusible link", or point me towards where I find it in the car. Also the "controll box". (sometimes it's hard to find the english-swedish translation for certain parts)

I will double check my grounds, I did make sure they had good connection and are free of paint before. But I miss the engine to firewall ground.

Usually there is a flat braided ground from the rear of the right head to the firewall. Make sure your ECU has a good ground on it. The fuseable link should be right by the bulkhead connector going through the firewall.

Usually there is a flat braided ground from the rear of the right head to the firewall. Make sure your ECU has a good ground on it. The fuseable link should be right by the bulkhead connector going through the firewall.

Thanks. I checked grounds today, they were clean and tight, I went over them anyway. Also added the engine to firewall ground. Also checked all of the above mentioned, cleaned, re-tight etc. Then I did a testdrive, keeping close to the garage and all went well, drove a good 40 minutes.

-
Back