One wire lock-up, 4 spd automatic w overdrive into A-body.

-

jbc426

Reaction score
Ok, this will work for big blocks, small blocks, Magnum 5.9's AND all modern hemi's, just order the right bellhousing. It uses no computer, fits with minimal massaging of the cross member and holds up to 1000 hp. I only opted for the 750 hp version.

There's no time consuming WilCap adapters to custom fit, no crankshaft spacers, no bellhousing spacer-plate trimming nightmares. Best of all, its reasonably priced and requires very little work on the torsion bar cross member. No, I am not selling anything. Its just that I never wanted to hack up my car to put in an overdrive automatic, and I finally found a way to do it with minimal surgery.

This is the first of a stream of posts regarding the installation of an overdrive automatic transmission that takes dramatically less power to drive, has a lower first and a deeper overdrive combined with a heavy duty lock-up torque converter.....all hooked up with one 12v DC wire. No computers involved! If you run a carburetor, you don't have to even think about that! Notice the SFI bellhousing...

The secret for the EFI guys using re-flashed or stock factory computers is that you have to use a 5 speed computer for both a 5.9 EFI and the Modern Hemi's, although not all Modern Hemi's were available with a standard transmission. This part is under review. This way it (the computer) won't look for the transmission input. It's my understanding that you can't program that out.

In my case, I'm going to drive this transmission with a 2001 5.9 Magnum stuffed with a Hughes prepped 10-to-1 408 stroker kit, CNC Edelbrock Super Prep'd heads (with some hand blended bowl work), nearly a .600 lift roller cam and a Hemifever EFI tune using the factory 5-speed computer from a 2002 Dodge pick-up. It should put out a consistent 525 hp in this 1968 A-body convertible with 3.90 sure grip, drive like a kitten and roar like a tiger. This is a far cry from the slant six it started out in life with.

More to follow, but be patient I have a busy life right now.

Here's a picture of this little known gem. It won't be long until there are post telling you what it is. If not, I'll spell it out soon.

Attachments

• 200r4.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,722
Another shot...
Anyone?, anyone? Bueller?....Bueller?

Attachments

• 200R42 (Large).jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,675
Ok you've got my attention and I'm an idiot on this matter -- what flexplate - torque converter - starter

Ok you've got my attention and I'm an idiot on this matter -- what flexplate - torque converter - starter

The flex plate is out of a 5.2 Magnum, as my motor will be internally balance and I need the tone ring that is part of it for my EFI. The starter is just a common mini-starter, and the torque converter is a custom built, 3000 stall, lock-up converter with billet cover and triple clutches from Precision Torque Converters. Basically the engine side of the torque converter is built using 5.9 Magnum dimensions and the transmission side is GM for the LS1 4L60 or 200R4. The overall depth/length is 6.5".

I haven't had a chance to verify exact fitment of the torque converter yet, but will shortly.

Here's a picture of this little known gem. It won't be long until there are post telling you what it is. If not, I'll spell it out soon.

Thread is pretty useless without a parts list.

Where's the bell housing and who makes it?

I'm pretty sure the cross member still needs quite a bit of work to put that in. No?

Have you ever done the swap before?

Winner! Correct. It's the Stage 2 version with a Reid SFI bell housing and Lonnie's adapter.

Thread is pretty useless without a parts list.

Where's the bell housing and who makes it?

I'm pretty sure the cross member still needs quite a bit of work to put that in. No?

Have you ever done the swap before?

This is his response in a previous post...No other parts listed....

well some pictures and more details would be nice..

Patience grasshopper. The parts are listed.

Have you actually read the post? I'll do a full photo log of the install, include all headaches and exact part numbers. The bottom line is that this trans will work with a wide range of Mopar power plants without having to cut your car up or massage a bunch of oversized plates..

On an A-body, its my understanding that there will be a small cut on the front half of the driver's side cross member that can be built back up with a flat plate. I will take full photos of everything involved.

If your boarded or skeptical, here's a little bit of the kind of the work I do. 720hp six pack motor that peaks at 5800 rpm. Jamie Passons 5 speed is on the way, and Dr Diff sent me a set of 3.73 Spicer gears, so I don't get going too fast.

Attachments

• IMG_290Cropped.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,468
yes i read the post but missed the couple parts listed in your winner post.

there was already a 200r instal thread here. they did it with a plate you are doing it with a bell housing. won't the tailshaft be in the same location? if so the cross member is going to still need a lot of work. too much for someone that doesn't want to cut up their car,

yes i read the post but missed the couple parts listed in your winner post.

there was already a 200r instal thread here. they did it with a plate you are doing it with a bell housing. won't the tailshaft be in the same location? if so the cross member is going to still need a lot of work. too much for someone that doesn't want to cut up their car,

No, the cross member will bolt on to the factory spot, yet extend back to hold the rear engine/tranny mount.

The hardest part used to be trimming the Wilcap stuff to fit. This kit eliminates all that. If one doesn't have a welder this could be done at a muffler shop,. It's straight forward, and doesn't violate the strength of the original cross member, once it's reinforced.

Give me a few weeks, its Bass spawning season after all!

We're not skeptical, there has just been two or three other people that have done it and documented it well already. That's why I yawn.

We're not skeptical, there has just been two or three other people that have done it and documented it well already. That's why I yawn.

Some people yawn when they think they can see what's coming. This story is a little different, it has never been told, but it's about to be! In glorious, common sense detail.

Look at it this way, this trans finally bolts up to every Mopar currently made including the modern ones, uses a single 12v connection and holds up to 1000 hp; all with the most minimal of structural modifications. If you can use a grinder and hire a muffler shop, you are in! better yet if you have access to a MIG.

What do you get for your trouble? a fully automatic 4 speed with a lock up converter that can handle 1500+ ft lbs of torque( the lock-up clutches in torque converter- not the transmission). and a transmission that's good for at least 1000 hp.

Oh, don't forget to add the lower 2.76 first gear and the .67 OD ......and then consider the lock up the converter. Mine stalls at 3000. When you put something like this in a 2800 lbs car with 525+ EFI injected hp. Things get FUN! and get great gas mileage.

Does any one need a really nice, very low mileage 727 and 2200 rpm stall converter?

the problem is that all this threat is so far is a commercial. why even start it if theres nothing to report. i mean we can see the trans, and a bell setting on the floor. at least get us some detailed pics of that bell ans maybe the part number and where ya bought it.

the argument about using the trans or not has been done. some like the idea some won't ever do it. me, yea i like the trans for the reasons you list. it doesn't matter to me that its not a mopar trans. but i've seen the other install and really only care about seeing what you have to do with the crossmember area. like i said before some will not want to touch it at all.

Potentially a thread I'm very interested in seeing. I feel like this might end up as one of those never updated never happened quite like it was supposed to threads though. JBC426 I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.

Potentially a thread I'm very interested in seeing. I feel like this might end up as one of those never updated never happened quite like it was supposed to threads though. JBC426 I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.

This is my summer project. I'll post as much specific info as it becomes available. Before I pull out the existing engine and transmission, I need to build a fresh stroker motor. Just today, I found a block for my 408 Magnum build. It was on ebag. But, was only $300 delivered, and all the way from Colorado no less. I hope it checks out ok. I have all the rest of the parts to assemble the motor, and I'm hoping to have it together in a few weeks.

It should be here Monday. Today, I received my throttle pressure cable, the locking dipstick tube, and the adjusting lever for my throttle body.

The bell housing is a Reid unit (BH060 = small block Mopar and Modern Hemi) for a 2-peice Powerglide transmission. They are available direct from Reid or through Jegs. They are available for small blocks, big blocks, Modern Hemis and a host of other manufactures engines. The reason it bolts up to the 200R4 is because the owner operator of Extreme Automatics, Lonny; CNC's the adapter and cuts the as-cast bellhousing off the 200R4's. It's a clean set-up, and allows you to avoid the Wilcap adapter, which used to be the only way to do this trans swap. I think it makes the job a lot easier.

The existing posts regarding the install of the 200R4, all used the Wilcap adapter and already show the cross member mod, the rear transmission mount fabrication and related technical issues such as using a speedometer cable extension attached to your existing speedo cable. I will be using an after-market floor mounted shifter.

The parts are on the way in gentleman, but the spawning Bass are calling to me this weekend, and I get to go with my old man....once again. If I don't catch and release 140 fish this three day weekend, I will admit it here.
Until then,,,,,more to follow.

Attachments

• Fishing '13 008 (Large).jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,420
  • Fishing '13 006 (Large).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,446
  • Fishing '13 005 - Copy (Large).jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,429
-
Back