• other

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

trying to figure out how to do the final paint scheme on my 71 scamp. the car will be getting a coat of snakeskin green pearl which can be seen at this link on this gentleman's dustert
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3192418

It will also be getting a flat black bumblebee stripe and a dual snorkel hood scoop....my dilemna is between three options

1) paint the whole hood and scoop all the same snakeskin colour
2) paint the hood snakeskin and the scoop black (not sure if i should go flat or gloss black)
3) paint the whole hood and scoop black (once again dont know what shade of black, if i should carry it on to the cowl as well, and if i go this route whether or not to paint underhood black or body colour)

Tried to set this up as a poll but still cant figure it out so let me know your opinions guys and if you have any other suggestions or personal preferences please share those as well.

thanks
Matthew

well there is a poll now too i guess i figured it out...please post away guys...thanks

Deffinately flat black see how it makes the hemi-orange stand out on my duster..

DSCF0206.jpg

I would paint the whole hood and scoop black.like stoked340's it will set the green off.I would paint it a semi-gloss.
Jim

hey guys thanks for the suggestions so far...if i did go with a black hood, should i paint the underside black as well, or paint it the green? please keep the opinions coming guys

I like the black hood with the black scoop. On the Demon I did the whole hood in black.
The hood should of been a flatter black, but you get the idea.

blackhoods.jpg

OK. You want an opinion - here it is.
Don't do a bumblebee stripe of any sort since they were only seen on Dodges. Do something 'Plymouth' to set your Scamp apart yet keep it definitely 'Plymouth'. My suggestion is a semi-gloss black center hood stripe like seen on '70 Road Runners.
Personally, I don't particularly care for the complete hood being a contrasting black. I think it looks more 'finished' and 'detailed' with both paint colors showing on the complete hood panel.
...And if you wanna be a little trick with the paint, carry the same stripe scheme through to the bottom of the hood as well.
Just my .02 worth - ultimately, it's your car so do what pleases you.

What about a Demon style strype on the hood that way you get both colors, and maybe break the two colors with a thick pinstripe in like a gun metal dark grey color or a nice rust orange.

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions...I have thought about only doing the center section of the hood ala roadrunner style in black but ive decided to steer away from that as ive actually seen that on scamps and thought it looked better with the whole hood black...the demon stripe is definatly someting i have never even thought of before, so i guess i could give it some thought....as far as the bumblebee stripe goes, i know it aint a dodge, but it aint a duster either...i think any kind of duster stripes on scamps look real goofy...the butt stripe suits this body style perfectly and im not going for an original look, so i dont mind if its got a dodge thing on it- its still mopar lol...I appreciate the opinions and ideas so far guys...please feel free to keep on voicing your opinions

mshred,

I like the hood-scoop-cowl blackout treatment. Personally I plan on doing this (see attached photo) to my '71 Dart GT using a high gloss black paint.

Hood-Sccop-Cowl Blackout(small).jpg

Deffinately flat black and think about the strip kit :clock:

Black hood and scoop. Go w/ flat black - no offense to other members, but I never liked the "black out" hoods and scoops gloss black.

A little more than the hood, I think looks goooooooooood. :toothy10: (by the way, it's "eggshell", not flat....I hate flat......I hate gloss........I like eggshell. (not when I eat the egg, mind you........).

112_1204.jpg

well if eggshell is the word for it than thats what ill call it from now on lol....i think my mind is made up now on an Eggshell hood and scoop, but should i paint the underside of the hood black as well or should i paint it the snakeskin green?

well if eggshell is the word for it than thats what ill call it from now on lol....i think my mind is made up now on an Eggshell hood and scoop, but should i paint the underside of the hood black as well or should i paint it the snakeskin green?
I would just paint the top black.

There are some new "hot rod black" paints that are "eggshell" in appearance............simple application and no flattening agents to monkey with....nice satin finish.

..........and though I've had some hoods that were black underneath, I must say that when they're painted the color of the car like originals were, they REALLY POP! I'd paint the green under there! That's one wild color! :toothy10:

A little more than the hood, I think looks goooooooooood. :toothy10: (by the way, it's "eggshell", not flat....I hate flat......I hate gloss........I like eggshell. (not when I eat the egg, mind you........).

Now that looks like the way to go.

Personally, I don't particularly care for the complete hood being a contrasting black. I think it looks more 'finished' and 'detailed' with both paint colors showing on the complete hood panel.

^^^ x 2

I like that blacked out front end

I like flat black or matte blk or satin blk....here is my valiant with flat blk, we added a flattner in the paint to kill it more...Got it at parts plus, but all places should carry it...oh yea also Pin striped hood scoop to match car color, I think it came out Kool

Copy of Nice pic.jpg

-
Back