Organ donor??

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
What does it take to become one??? Other than the death part of course. Any forms somewhere that needs to be filled out or something? When I renewed my d/l they asked about it but I was on the fence about it. So what do I got to do?

Go back to DMV and tell them you want to be a donor and it will be put on your drivers licence.

I just filled out a form they handed me when I renewed my drivers licence. Its nice to know that if I die in an accident, my organs can go to help save someone's life. But to be honest, I'm really hoping I get to keep them! LOL

I'm pretty sure that's all you have to do in Missouri. I have it on my d/l, but I think I also filled out a form at my Dr's. office for my medical records. I hope by the time I go, everything is worn out, but you never know.

In Minnesota you check the donor box when you renew your license. I believe unless they changed it since I became one.

Basically, just let your wife and family know. the D/L thing isn't binding, just gives family a direction on your wishes.
When I kick, they can have what ever they can salvage. If I *****, they were taking it too soon anyway.

Other than that, make sure your famlily knows. There have been cases where the deceased was a donor on their license, but family refused, as it was against their beliefs.

x2
That's usually how it works Doug.

You need to talk or anything?

Jack

I do need to talk to you about something you said in your last pm, just have not gotten around to it with Ernie being sick and me starting to come down with what ever the hell she has.

Was up late a few nights ago and read an article about a young girl that is in really bad shape. She is waiting for a lung (?) transplant and it does not look good for her. I figured when the day gets here that I die why be selfish? If my death might mean someones chance to live is increased why not?

When I got my permit, they asked me if I wanted to be an organ donor. I told 'em sure! If they can part me out like a rusty car when I die, go ahead!

I just hope they don't try to use my lungs or my liver :eek:ops:

When I got my permit, they asked me if I wanted to be an organ donor. I told 'em sure! If they can part me out like a rusty car when I die, go ahead!

I just hope they don't try to use my lungs or my liver :eek:ops:

Having copd pretty sure there will not be much of lungs when I kick the bucket....all the pain killers will probably take care of my liver as well.

With the waiting list as long as it as, according to the article I was reading the other night seems kinda foolish to have what ever can be used sent into the oven with the stuff that they can not.....

With the waiting list as long as it as, according to the article I was reading the other night seems kinda foolish to have what ever can be used sent into the oven with the stuff that they can not.....
Agreed!

Truthfully, putting it in your living will is your best bet. (You have one of those right?)

But... give your health care proxy some discretion.

Sarah wanted to be an organ donor. I wanted to honor her wishes. But it would have meant reversing her orders as to what to do when it came time to order cease treatment.

I couldn't do it. Because of the nature of the tumor only her kidneys were being looked at. A biopsy would have to be done on those which could have taken hours. And, because of a month in a coma, chances were, even her kidneys weren't usable.

The two ladies from the organ donor program were polite and consoling. But they were vultures circling the body, too.

I'm not trying to convince anyone not to be an organ donor. My point is, talk things through with your health care proxy (if you don't have one...get one!), examine all the scenarios you can think of, (and if you can't think of any talk to people who have been in the position before), put it in writing, and make sure you're clear on what your wishes are.

Truthfully, putting it in your living will is your best bet. (You have one of those right?)

But... give your health care proxy some discretion.

Sarah wanted to be an organ donor. I wanted to honor her wishes. But it would have meant reversing her orders as to what to do when it came time to order cease treatment.

I couldn't do it. Because of the nature of the tumor only her kidneys were being looked at. A biopsy would have to be done on those which could have taken hours. And, because of a month in a coma, chances were, even her kidneys weren't usable.

The two ladies from the organ donor program were polite and consoling. But they were vultures circling the body, too.

I'm not trying to convince anyone not to be an organ donor. My point is, talk things through with your health care proxy (if you don't have one...get one!), examine all the scenarios you can think of, (and if you can't think of any talk to people who have been in the position before), put it in writing, and make sure you're clear on what your wishes are.

I agree, don't trust the organ donor people to do the right thing as you see it. They have more then one interest. Here is a little story that is along the same lines as the organ donor folks. My daughter was in the hospital for her first child. She was breast feeding and all was going well. Apparently not all women produce enough milk to feed their newborns so there is a program at the hospital where women that produce a lot of milk can donate to others. Well the people that collect this milk were coming in every few hours and hooking her up to a pump and pumping her dry. After a couple of days of this, and it was continuous, she started having siezures. It turned out that they had caused a hormone imbalance in her that could have killed her. So the moral of the story is, do not trust them to do the right thing by you if there are other interests involved. Look after your interests before thinking of anybody else.

Jack

But they were vultures circling the body, too.

This is down right disturbing. You would think they would be more or less waiting in the wings than being vultures waiting on there prey.

Thanks for the insight Robert, lot more to this than just "checking a box" so to speak.

This is down right disturbing. You would think they would be more or less waiting in the wings than being vultures waiting on there prey.

Thanks for the insight Robert, lot more to this than just "checking a box" so to speak.

And exactly why I advocated playing out all the scenarios with your health care proxy and making sure everyone was on the same page.

Remember, your health care proxy will be your eyes, your ears, your voice, if you're incapable of seeing these things for yourself and making the decisions that need to be made.

The decision was made to unhook Sarah from the machines. The bag of morphine was ordered, respiratory was on the way up.

Sarah had had a lot of seizures that Saturday night, going into Sunday morning.

Like I said, they were polite and consoling, but were hovering over her not quite dead yet body to have me rescind the orders for just a "few more hours so they could do the biopsies necessary."

And let her lay there and have even more seizures and experience even more pain while they did so. On the off chance they could actually use her kidneys.

Sorry, folks, Sarah wanted to be a organ donor, but she also didn't want to lay there in a living state of death. One decision took precedent over the other.

She'd already told me good bye with the tears in her eyes as she started having seizures. It just took my dumb *** a little while to wrap my head around it and voice the decision she'd already made.

There was no way in hell I was going to make her lay there any longer without knowing peace and joining our daughter at Heaven's Gates.

Thanks again Robert. As painful as it was to read it is good to know the other side.

What does it take to become one??? Other than the death part of course. Any forms somewhere that needs to be filled out or something? When I renewed my d/l they asked about it but I was on the fence about it. So what do I got to do?

Thats a great thing to help others, but if you had hepatitus, or any other thing that leaves the antibodies in your system you could make someone severely sick with.any donated organs. I had hepatitus when i was 3 from a dirty needle fron a DPT booster shot. Im 44 now. Back then they reused needles and stuff. I cannot donate blood or be an organ donor for that very reason, tho i would like to as it is a very unselfish act, and an awesome thing to do for others.

Hope this helps
Matt

-
Back