oven insulation

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Found the mouse house...in my friggin oven! under the gas burner top there is a nice bed of insulation that would make a mouse proud to sleep on, among other things. So out comes ALL The insulation and in goes the new stuff. What can I use? $15 Pink Owens Corning? Fiberglass melts at 1000F. can I use it or do I have to go with $120 blanket of official Fridgidaire insulation made of mineral wood or some other stuff? This wrap goes over the stove portion so its roughly 20 wide by 82" long.

How much do you need. I have some top of the line stuff left over from a good sized powdercoat oven I built. PM me an address and I'll send you some out on monday.

Damn, thats nice of you! Let me look at homie depot first and ill get back with you. 24x80 is about what i measured.

You're looking for a product called ROXUL the upc code I have is 7478342361. It doesn't breakdown like fiberglass. The stuff I have is 16oc.

The stuff in my old GE sure looked like glass. It was yellow, not pink

You're looking for a product called ROXUL the upc code I have is 7478342361. It doesn't breakdown like fiberglass. The stuff I have is 16oc.
Yes. Roxul " safe and sound" is heat resistant rock/wool fiber. It cuts perfectly square without pulling apart, just use a serated steak knife to cut it. You can slice it thinner too.
Its good stuff.

looked at new ovens and the nearest we could find was >$550 so I repacked the old one after a THOROUGH disinfecting.
The stuff in my old GE sure looked like glass. It was yellow, not pink
The stuff i ended up getting was unbacked Johns-Manville R-30 insulation, 16 on center, 100% fiberglass. Had to buy 25 foot roll and only used 7 feet. Actually had to peel it in half to fit my application as it was 9" thick when unrolled. I checked the specs and it met a 1150F test for non flammability so i believe I'm good. Plugged a few entry points while i was in there. Im good with it, hope the wife can recover. Big thanks to @Blind Squirrel for the offer on the good stuff but I needed it ASAP. Putting money away now for a new oven. 'cept all the ones new are computer controlled and Ive read post on them lasting 2 years before a sensor goes bad. We've had this 15 years and I've only put one $12 Ebay ignitor in it.

20200620_151446.jpg

20200620_151440.jpg

20200620_155013.jpg

20200620_152604.jpg

20200620_162712.jpg

TIP>> on a gas range the top will lift right off if you unscrew the 8 little burner bolts, that's all that holds it on 'cept the 2 clips in the front edge you pry it off of.

The old crap I pulled out looked and felt just like this new stuff. Id imagine mineral wool to be more dense than this stuff. Time will tell.

How much do you need. I have some top of the line stuff left over from a good sized powdercoat oven I built. PM me an address and I'll send you some out on monday.
Not to high jack but have you posted up your oven build anywhere? I’m getting materials together for a powder coat oven now.

I kinda went over the top professional with mine. I used metal studs and I had some industrial shelving for the inside. Then I took it to my sheet metal guy and had wrap panels made which I stainless steel riveted in place. I'm most proud of the electronics. I had read that the digital switches couldn't handle the repetative power load. So I used the digital switch to trip a left over alarm panel power supply I had to trip a set of furnace contacts to cycle the heat lamps. Its all controlled by a digital PID temperature controller. I do have a write up on my wordpress page under "It's been awhile, lets powdercoat" Try here: WordPress.com

If that doesn't work go down to the bottom here and click on "Read all about Bob" and then look for that heading.

If you're close I have a bag and a bit of ROLUX left over. Not easy to find.

Last edited:
I’m in MD so nowhere close to PacNW. I’m finding sheet metal has become stupid expensive. I built a fabrication/work table this past winter and just the 20ga sheet metal for this oven is more than all the angle iron and 1/8” sheet metal for the table.

-
Back