OVER HEATING WITH A 318 ?

-

22dog22

Reaction score
I to am using Evans Coolant, new build engine, so no old coolant in the whole new system, used Evans from the get go,have a slightly built 318, have a 22" Champion 3 core alum. radiator, stock 5 blade none clutch Mopar fan blade, with shroud , have a 180 degree thermostat, running a 16 lb cab on the radiator, only have about 150 miles on the engine, drove it a few times last year,did not have problem, November was the last time to shop for State inspection, parked in garage over the winter, first time drove Sunday 6/28/20 , took to filled up gas tank, took short drive watching gauges as normal, temp was around 185 degree , pulled into garage, had anifreeze 'Evans coolant ' coming out of the overflow bottle, did not have any type of problem last year and did not touch any thing since then, i am thinking maybe the 16 lb cap on rad is to low or not working ? the temp. on the gauge in car was normal, it was very hot here on Sunday around 88 degree any thoughts ?

What are you using for an overflow bottle? What is its capacity? Did you fill the radiator completely full of coolant or leave it a little low?

On old systems that didn't use an overflow from the factory, the coolant shouldn't be filled all the way to the top of the radiator. On a stock radiator, there is a small "shelf"(for lack of a better word) directly under the cap. This is where the coolant level should be kept. Even with an overflow bottle, leave the coolant slightly low. If it's filled to the top and you have a small overflow bottle, it's possible to puke out enough coolant to overflow the bottle. Since your temp gauge was reading normal, I wouldn't be concerned just yet.

Drain the coolant out of the overflow and check the radiator level when the engine is cold. Leave it a little low and my guess is you'll be good to go.

Last edited:
88 is very hot? Maybe wrong cap, I would try another. Inspect cap seal area of both cap and rad to see if anything there. Maybe you have a leaking head gasket or worse. Usual test for that is a chemical test And first thing is to figure out a thermometer to give you an accurate idea of just how hot it's getting.

If it was fine last year and now it's running really hot, the thermostat may be sticking. It's a simple install. Replace it and eliminate that as the problem.

First off you need to verify that the engine temperature reading 185 was correct. As stated what size overflow bottle are you using? I have a overflow bottle that holds about a quart of coolant. I keep about an inch of coolant in the bottle when cold and when hot the expansion of the coolant makes it about half full. (Using Standard AF) The pressure cap has nothing to do with the expansion and contraction of the coolant, it raises the boiling point of the coolant which in your case is not necessary as the Evans coolant doesn’t boil till over 300*.

I have had issues with coolant overflowing after a coolant change, trapped air I suspect., After a few heat cool cycles it leveled out and went away.

I don't run an overflow, with the level properly set in the engine / rad it will never overflow unless it overheats, which it never does, 100 deg days, idle all day long, stock 273, 7 blade fan, no shroud, 2+ inches space between fan and rad.

Evans coolant with a 318? Talk about a colossal waste.

Did you check the coolant level before starting the engine. You sure the thermostat is working?

Thank you Dana67Dart, i read the report/testing from the link, i am having 2nd thoughts about this Evans coolant now, 1- it has a higher cylinder heads temp. 2,- aluminum parts questions, 3 - the coolant has high viscosity, while going through radiator by 20-25% which is hard on the water pump [drag], and really does not cool any better! 4- lower horsepower !, i am looking to drain this coolant out of my car, what do you think is the best way to do that? i will just use a good brand antifreeze in it's place i really thought this was a better way to go !!

Thank you Dana67Dart, i read the report/testing from the link, i am having 2nd thoughts about this Evans coolant now, 1- it has a higher cylinder heads temp. 2,- aluminum parts questions, 3 - the coolant has high viscosity, while going through radiator by 20-25% which is hard on the water pump [drag], and really does not cool any better! 4- lower horsepower !, i am looking to drain this coolant out of my car, what do you think is the best way to do that? i will just use a good brand antifreeze in it's place i really thought this was a better way to go !!

It’s NOT the Evans coolant. I read that BS report. You need to figure out who paid for it.

I’m not sure why you have a 3 core radiator, other than marketing.

You could run pudding for coolant and that thing shouldn’t over heat. Whatever it is, it ain’t the Evans. And all the other crap like hotter head temps, the “fire” danger and the other crap is just that...crap.

Before dumping the fluid let me reiterate that I can not vouch for the results. Also it was produced by a coolant company trying to sell their own coolant.

Was topped off when it was cold is my guess. Let it cycle and see if issue continues.

i may try again, i just checked the coolant level in the rad. and it is full, i would have thought since it came out of the overflow bottle, it would be on the low side, i just did not remember adding coolant since last year when i drove the car and did not have this issue ? i really do not want to waste all of the Evans coolant, have a small forture in money for it !

-
Back