Over transmission

-
yes.

double check that the countershaft bores are good and the shaft isn't all wibbly wobbly in the case.

and don't get too zesty power shifting into 4th and it'll be fine.

Your 340 street, is not likely to break the first three gears.

I ran one of those and busted the overdrive gear.
I bought another and ripped all the teeth off the input gear.
So I thought to build One out of the Two, but then,
I discovered that Chrysler made two designs one with an 18tooth od, and another with a 20 tooth, and none of the parts were compatible.
So; I bought a third one, and and and soon shredded that overdrive again..
But now I had two that were the same, and so;
So I built one with what I had, and retired it; Installing a Commando instead.
Eventually, I found some old 18tooth core parts and now have those broken transmissions in the cue for reassembly. Soon I will have two ods and one 2.66, ready for sale.
If you go overdrive, I highly recommend engineering an od-lockout. Because that 18 tooth od gear is a ticking time-bomb.
And it won't take you long to figure out that those ratios are not compatible with big street-cams and low cylinder pressure....... and yur gonna also find out that running a cruizing speed below 2400, your 340 will suck as much gas as it ever did with 3.55s and no overdrive.
But yeah, your 340 street, is not likely to break the first three gears.
>>As an aside, on one of them, I had a machine shop fit a steel bushing into that front hole.
>> if you want the Cadillac of Mopar Combos, I have this Commando here with a GVod behind it, slick-shifted on second and third, that absolutely loves 3.55s on the street and in the Eighth.
Using the GV as a gearsplitter it has Seven useable gears, and can be had with a Passon mainbox. PM me for details.

Last edited:
-
Back