Overdrive speedometer cable extension

-

Headintheclouds

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is an off the shelf Mopar speedometer cable extension for use when swapping out 727 for A500 or A518? I did see one with a speed sensor incorporated but they seem to have been discontinued.

I had Texas Industrial Electric make up a longer cable to fit my 65 Dart chassis with the A500 and Dakota Digital instrument cluster

I planned to have a complete new cable made but just checking there isn't an easier fix before I go ahead.

Look online for speedometer repair.

Also there is an 83" cable available vs 61" , I don't know how it is terminated.

Are you using a VSS on your transmission? It makes a difference in the cable ends, as the VSS uses a 5/8 thread as opposed to the standard speedo drive's 7/8 thread.
Also, what year vehicle/speedometer you have, since the speedometer end of the cable changed in '68 to a press-on connector as opposed to the earlier thread-on connector.

Good to know. Being in the land of UK I have a Smiths speedo which is probably completely different from A body etc. I need to check if speedo repairers over here are familiar with the 7/8 thread. Will probably take in what I have and ask if they can make a longer one. Would have been so easy to just screw on an extension...

Just what I was looking for, thank you. Even with postage to the UK it will probably be less than half the price of a new cable.

Be sure both ends are correct for your application

It looks spot on. Straightforward extension for the 7/8 inch connection on the transmission. I have found another fleabay seller with much cheaper international delivery. Also Summit Racing do a 7 inch extension but I'm not sure that will be quite long enough.

I'm talking out my butt here but I think some older cars with cruise control are 2 piece. I have a two piece in my 68 Dart from previous owner and was told it may be from a cruise control car. Just something to look into but it looks like you found what your looking for.

I'm sure you are right about that but I don't thing the join is 7/8.
I need about a foot of extension so will have to go with the 20" but at $25 that's much cheaper than a new cable. Thanks to all for your help.

About 125 miles, so not too bad. It's not a company I knew about so glad to have the link.

Mancini sells the longer 80" cable. Was more than long enough for the A500 in my Dart

About 125 miles, so not too bad. It's not a company I knew about so glad to have the link
Give them a call, I am sure they could make you up exactly what you need.

They might even know of a company nearer to you.

Sorry for kick starting an older thread.
68 Dart- RH42 out of a Dakota
I grabbed the long cable when I got the transmission, but theres an interface with electrical connector (cruise control?).
The floor pan interferes with this. Does anybody know of a shorty adapter that allows the cable to go straight to the transmission?
Is this 5/8 on the cable end and 7/8 on the transmission end?

image.jpg

When I bought my RH42 it came with what appears to be a speedo cable connection like those found in any 904 Torqueflite. It uses the common 904/727 speedo gear and it works fine. I'm dinging #plumkrazee70, who I bought the trans from to see if he knows anything...

The adapter/sensor doohickey has the same end as the cable from the 904, but interferes with the floor. Short of getting under there and bashing some clearance, I was hoping for an adapter/reducer part # that was short enough to allow the cable to screw directly to the transmission and still allow the drive to engage with the cable. The trip to local HD was unfruitful.

IMG_3155.jpeg

-
Back