Paint 911. Used wrong activator.

-

Badart

Reaction score
I feel really stupid, but I am going to blame it on the beer. :munky2: I started shooting my first coat of Epoxy Primer on the Fury this evening. I picked up the urethane catalyst by mistake and used it. Luckily I only painted one side of the car and knew something wasn't right, because it wasn't drying. It has been 3 hours now and the primer is still tacky. What the hell do I do? I guess I will see in the morning. Don't drink and paint.

You will need to get some gloves on and wipe it all off with lacer thinner. It will never harden correctly and even if it does dry it will never right to paint or primer over.

I have done stuff like that before...SOBER,so dont feel bad,I was in a hurry and forgot wrong type of reducer in my base.Thankfully,it was only a door a fender and was able to use wax & grease remover to wipe it off.If its hot enough tomorrow,put it out in the sun and see if that speeds it up.If its only one side and one coat,it should be easy to sand off.If its still not dry,use thinner to wipe it off ,but be careful with thinner on bodywork,it will soften the body filler.Dont worry,we all screw up

Wiping it off will make a nasty mess. I would let it dry.. it will in time. Then block it all off again and re spray it.

What really sucks it I worked about 3 days to get the side of the car lazer straight.

Wiping it off will make a nasty mess. I would let it dry.. it will in time. Then block it all off again and re spray it.
Yeah,i agree ,wiping it will be messy ,and smelly,and in the sun it will dry much faster and carefully block sand it off with a straight block.As long as you use a straight block and are careful,you wont mess up the body work :thumblef:

It will not dry. Use MEK or acetone, with gloves on and wipe it off. I work in the R&D lab at a paint company and we all make that mistake. Some one did not use the right convertor with a urethane and the stuff never dried after weeks. Was able to wipe it off with solvent. oh yeah, it should not remove bondo's. Some of the other putties solvents could remove it.

I agree. Use MEK to get the bulk of it off. Wear a respirator and heavy gloves. MEK is nasty stuff. Because the chemicals are a mismatch it will still be tacky so use acetone to wipe the residue off. Acetone will suck out the tacky polymers and you should be able to let it dry and lightly sand for a re-coat. An incorrect chemical bond may never cure and even if it does you will see a difference in finish.

Grab a six pack and get busy.

You guys are right. I went out this morning and the paint was like glue. I did manage to make the worlds largest fly strip. I had about a million bugs stuck to it. LOL. I used MEK and Acetone. I think the acetone works better, because it is not as harsh. I wiped off really easy and didn't take off any filler. I shot fresh epoxy on it this afternoon. I hand fabricated all of the sheet metal in the rear quarters, inner and outher. I think it turned out pretty good. Thanks guys.

Primer.jpg

Primer1.jpg

My buddy still takes the prize. He reduced the urethane base coat with lacquer thinner and put a 2 coats on the entire car. It dried but wrinkled and crazed over the entire surface. He had to sand it all off.

Been there done that Badart. Cardinal rule #1 for me is NO painting after drinking. I have gone out many a time to a mess the next day.
Good luck with it but you will probably have to wipe it down with something. Try some prepsol/precleaner.

If it comes off with acetone then all the better. MEK has a flashpoint that is a little bit higher. Meaning MEK takes a little bit longer to evaporate. Because acetone has the lower flash/evaporation point, it is somewhat safer to use. Like that Fury!

-
Back