Paint code for grey primer on the SS Hemi Dart?

-

savoy

Reaction score
Is there an accepted primer paint code for replicating the SS cars finish as produced in 1968?

That’s a tough one because there was so few made, I’m sure it was hand sprayed. They were expected to get finish (lacquer) when the racer got the car. Honestly if you sprayed it “grey” when is the next time it will be next to another vehicle one? Sorry if this does not help you. I have a tendency to over do stuff and find out later there was no “color” or “special something.” All because a guy told me this 20 years ago. Good luck and I hope you find your code.

I agree with Syleng1, there probably wasn’t a code other than what they had in the gun that day that happened to be grey. Even nowadays, when buying a gallon or more of the same primer you can have a slight color shift between cans.
I would find an acceptable match and then get it matched in a flattened single stage paint for durability.

Yes flattened gray paint is best for this.

Primer is going to absorb water and hard to clean some things off of it. You cannot just touch it up because the edges of the spray area will be dry and rough.

Plus over time the color on the car will change, even if you spray from the same can of primer.

Thanks for the replies. I find myself going back and forth between the grey/black scheme vs painting it a more vibrant color. Just as an aside, I looked at some of my previous posts and saw that I originally drove to Vermont, brought the car back to Minnesota in 2016!! Lost the car when my friend/body guy passed away, and his widow sold it to someone else even after knowing the arrangement made where my buddy would finish the car, show it, and then sell it back to me. Anyway after doing some rather lengthy negotiating, the dart is back and will be completed. Thanks again.

-
Back