Painting 65 Dart GT Interior Door Panels

• Thread starter Deleted member 38666
  • Start date
-
D

Deleted member 38666

I am beginning my restoration on my 65 Dart GT, and I will begin a restoration thread soon. I bought the car a few years ago where it was a car that lived it's life in Arizona. I think it had a body and interior restoration once before my owning the car. The doors and back seat interior side panels are in nice/excellent condition, but are beige in color. I would like to change the color to black. I have used various paints for some of my interior work in the past without satisfactory results. Can anyone help me with advice on refinishing these panels, or would I be better off having an online such as Legendary, manufacture some new panels for the project. I guess my questions are: will painting these panels hold up to use if painted, what have other Fabo members used for painting vinyl interior parts, and, furthermore, particularly, my concern is the abrasion one would experience as the in and out traffic would wear or flake the paint completely off. I could use some advice since the last time I painted interior vinyl was 20 years ago. I will look forward to your advice and posts. Old Dart 66

Have had very good luck with duplicolor vinyl/fabric paint. Just make sure you clean panels thoroughly before applying. I use 1 part bleach to 3 parts water( mold you can't see will be on any aged material), then clean with apple cider vinager to remove all remaining impurities. Then Spray with duplicolor.
Did all of the door panels in my 65 valiant. Changed from gold to black.
Sold the car last yr. but held up great for entire time I had her.

I used SEM Landau black in my 67 fish. Any brand will require proper prep. SEM and others mfgrs offer clean and prep products too. I'm no chemist but SEMs prep seems to be about the same thing as PVC pipe cleaner. It will lift oil, ink, anything. leaves the surface cold and tacky.
I just sprayed some small plastic parts for a 96 Camry recent purchase earlier today. I can't say what the name of this leather brown color is but its a perfect match to OEM. 18 and change for that can was a shock. Price at my local retailer has went up since I bought the black for my fish. I shutter to think what a bottle of their prep sells for today.

Have had very good luck with duplicolor vinyl/fabric paint. Just make sure you clean panels thoroughly before applying. I use 1 part bleach to 3 parts water( mold you can't see will be on any aged material), then clean with apple cider vinager to remove all remaining impurities. Then Spray with duplicolor.
Did all of the door panels in my 65 valiant. Changed from gold to black.
Sold the car last yr. but held up great for entire time I had her.
Thank you for your prompt response and info. I will follow the advice as I proceed. As I stated, have not painted vinyl for some time, and it appears that prep is the key to success. Thanks again, Old Dart 66.

I used SEM Landau black in my 67 fish. Any brand will require proper prep. SEM and others mfgrs offer clean and prep products too. I'm no chemist but SEMs prep seems to be about the same thing as PVC pipe cleaner. It will lift oil, ink, anything. leaves the surface cold and tacky.
I just sprayed some small plastic parts for a 96 Camry recent purchase earlier today. I can't say what the name of this leather brown color is but its a perfect match to OEM. 18 and change for that can was a shock. Price at my local retailer has went up since I bought the black for my fish. I shutter to think what a bottle of their prep sells for today.

Clean the parts thoroughly like mentioned above. Also, an adhesion promoter is highly recommended when painting interior panels/plastic parts.

Thanks for the info, as I proceed, I will post. Appreciate your response.
Clean the parts thoroughly like mentioned above. Also, an adhesion promoter is highly recommended when painting interior panels/plastic parts.
Could you recommend a brand or product on the adhesion Promoter? Thanks in advance for your help and responses. Old Dart 66

Bulldog or Dupli-Color are both brands I've used in the past. Any decent parts supplier should carry it. Napa, AutoZone, O'Reillys, Pep Boys etc.

Looks like I have the information I need. Thanks again for the Fabo member help. Great place to be for all the help. I will move fwd with what I have found in help. Thanks to those who gave me a hand. I will post the finished product and the process i used. Old Dart 66.

-
Back