Painting sand blasted fasteners body color - how would you do it?

-

Weak440

Thread Killer
Reaction score
So I decided the other day to sand blast all of my fender, door hinge, and trunk bolts. I want to paint them to match my new body color.

But, I was wondering about the primer. Can I just shoot them with self etching and spray color (acrylic enamel) on top of that? Or should I spray a sealer on them then the color?

What would you guys recommend?

You can do a wet on wet if you use epoxy not primer, spray the epoxy on the parts let it flash then shoot your colour.

As soon as I wrench any painted fasteners the paint comes off. That's why I think some assemblies are painted as assemblies and why most fasteners are plated.

As soon as I wrench any painted fasteners the paint comes off. That's why I think some assemblies are painted as assemblies and why most fasteners are plated.
I've had good luck using the wet on wet been doing it for over 30 years. Just don't use air tools for assembly.

So I decided the other day to sand blast all of my fender, door hinge, and trunk bolts. I want to paint them to match my new body color.

But, I was wondering about the primer. Can I just shoot them with self etching and spray color (acrylic enamel) on top of that? Or should I spray a sealer on them then the color?

What would you guys recommend?

I would recommend to have them blackphosphated and then mount it all together. After that the final paint can be applied and it would look as new condition.

1 side note to this if you want them to look black pros.but not have a body color on them, like the lower fender mounting bolt, you can paint them flat black and heat them in the oven for a while to bake the finish on them. this is a old school way of doing it and will give you a close reproduction of that factory finish.

-
Back