"Particle Board" trunk insert?

-

71 Duster 440

Quarter Life Crisis
Reaction score
I recently bought an R.E.M. reproduction trunk mat for my 1967 Barracuda fastback. I need dimensions on how to replicate the "particle board" or wood panel that was laid in the trunk in these cars from the factory to keep the trunk mat from sinking into the spare tire well.

First of all, what is the real name for this panel? Second, can anyone provide dimensions (or, better yet, a tracing) of one so that I can get it as close to a factory piece as possible? I am calling it "particle board" because that's what it resembles to me. Is this the right material? If not, what is the correct material to use? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Chris

Mine was made with a piece of _________ picked up from Home Depot. For the life of me I can not remember what it was called.......Masonite, according to my body guy....

He just said it was masonite, I think it is also called hardboard.....

Thanks man. Actually, masonite does seem to be exactly the same. I considered using MDF, but I think that stuff swells up like a sponge when it comes in contact with any moisture.

Masonite is the correct term. It's about an 1/8" thick and it comes in a 4'x8 sheet. It's typically brown in color.

Thanks man. Actually, masonite does seem to be exactly the same. I considered using MDF, but I think that stuff swells up like a sponge when it comes in contact with any moisture.

If Masonite gets wet it will curl up too. I'd seal it somehow if I was going to use it in my trunk.

He lists 67 Barracudas too.

"Just contact us at 951-461-9005 for more info. Atlas Obsoleete Chrysler Parts"

I think you'll find radial tires are too wide to let the board lay flat on the trunk floor.

Quotes:
"Originally Posted by RedFish
"I think you'll find radial tires are too wide to let the board lay flat on the trunk floor."

Originally Posted by 1968FormulaS340
"An original E70-14 doesn't allow the board to lay flat on the trunk floor."

I think you need a motorcycle spare tire for that thing to lay flat!

Try messaging this guy. I see somebody asked him if he just sells the totes and he said yes. Maybe he can sell you just the board. Says they are specific to models. Good luck.

" Both the mat and board are die-cut specifically for your car's year and model."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trunk-Mat-Board-Tote-Bag-Set-1967-75-MoPar-A-Body-/370527008044#vi-content

Thanks for the info! I'll send him a message and see what he says. Maybe I'll buy the "tote" too and throw some basic hand tools in it. I can score a piece of masonite from work for free, so I'm debating on just making this piece, or going the easy way out and buying it from him.

PM me an address, I will trace my original (68 Fastback), and get it out to you.

Thanks so much man! Sending PM now...

I think you'll find radial tires are too wide to let the board lay flat on the trunk floor.

Hah, funny you should say that. I was just looking at the spare tire well yesterday thinking how shallow it seemed for a full size spare. Did these cars come with "donuts" or full spares? I have a pretty small 165/50/14 on a stock steel wheel I was hoping to put back there.

No kidding!!! After I put the rallyes on the Dart I threw the best take-off tire in the trunk as a spare and it sits about three or four inches high! You need to put legs on the Masonite sheet to use one of these tires. It had one old bias ply still on it when I got it but.....

What have others done for a spare that fits? I guess it's off to Big-O and see.

You're talking pretty small tires originally on these vehicles. My '72 Duster came with D-78/14's. I think the original Rallye's were 5.5" wide. That would be, about a 175-185/80/14, by todays sizes.

-
Back