partsgirls 71dart/440 engine cast iron manifolds

-

speedyvision

Reaction score
haaay yall! i`m kind of an old mopar fan...i even think i kno quite abit about them! i was raised in the backseat of late 50`s n 60`s imperials...many old 392 hemi`s...we had other models too and i love them all from finned 50` to superspeedway wings and evrything in between! (i`m a mopar NUT) my Daddy knew tons of mopar guys, ones who worked for mopar dealers and the assembly plant. there were guys wrenching at our house or wherever we went and we went to the new car showrooms evry yr when new models showed up! so enough on that for now...the reason i`m writing...my question...my concern is that;
when i install (have it installed actually, i`m not doing it...i might break a nail!...giggle) this;
71 440 engine and 727 trans from an imperial in2 this;
71 dart swinger using the stock cast iron manifolds;
WILL THEY FIT?
WILL I BE ABLE TO GET STOCK PIPES?
i`m using a motor plate to install the engine. it seems much easier/cheaper than using a new big block k frame. i don`t know about using the stock transmission mount though or precise location for the engine...i know its a tight fit and will be backed up2 the firewall. i`m sure i have to get the driveshaft cut...i`m trying to do this on the cheap so thats why i want to use the existing cast manifolds and tentatively leaving the 6 cyl torsion bars (i am switching it to disc front brakes and likely a rear gear in the range of 3.91 to 4.10)...its for the street anyways, just more for looks than real go...even so it might pull mid 13 quarter miles on a good day with the wind at my back and blowing my fair hair as i wave off in2 the sunset on a beautiful day in the neighborhood...are u still reading?...lol...any advice will be most appreciated...love, Candy! (rock on mopar lovers!)

I had a bubby who did this with a Dart way back in '78 or '79, I think. Also, I believe it was a '69 Dart. Can't remember what K-Frame he had, but I do remember it had the stock 350hp log manifolds. As I recall, he had to grind a bit off the driver side to clear the A-Frame tower or something like that, but it did work!

Paul

I stuck a 383 in a '72 dart a while ago. Before computers, internet, etc...lol. The way I did it was to angle mill and grind the LH 2bbl log manifold to clear the steering. There are 440 and 383 factory manifolds for this, but very rare, and very pricey. There is info on bigblockdart.com (IIRC) about using B body (charger, Road Runner) hi po manifolds to clear the steering. I havent done it, but I can see how they could do it. Then there's the usual big $$ header choices. The motor plate will work fine, but you'll get a ton of vibration from the engine. The trans mount is fine, and you will need to have the driveshaft fixed..You'll prob want to upgrade the rear axle too. The lightest duty ones cant take much from a small V8, nevermind a 440. The torsion bars will be fine, just dont plan to turn on a dime, the car will wallow like those old Imperials...Welcome by the way..Nice to see more female fanatics...

-
Back