Passon 5-speed

-
Lack of posts to this particular thread may also be low due to the 3 or so others that exist here on the Passon unit.

I am going to call Liberty and have them give me a quote on 4 speed .... they can also build an aluminum housing and tail stock unit ... i cannot wait for the avail of the 5 speed ...

You know it sure is funny with these companies. Take Keisler for instance. I know they are out of business now, but look at The Green Brick. It had one in it what.......10 years ago? Longer? That sure is funny ain't it? Who all has a Passon transmission? Who got the first few? "Special folk" like Rick Ehrenberg, I bet. My money says Passon will fold under the pressure. I hope not, but I bet he does.

I have to to disagree with you on the "Special folk" that got the first few. I have one and I am just a normal guy from small town Canada, I have no special connections and had never done business with Passon prior to this, I saw it talked about in the Mopar magazines years ago and called up put my name on the list and waited. About a year into the wait i was contacted and asked if I was really serious about buying one and if I was it was time for a 50% deposit so i forked out some of my hard earned money and waited for another year and a half and got one. Nothing special about that, if you want something that bad you have to wait, there were dates I was supposed to receive it that came and went and that was a bit frustrating but it is all part of it. I think part of the problem with the sale and marketing with these units is it was announced to early when it was still in design and development and far from the production point and I believe that this announcement was made early was because McLeod announced that they were coming out with there own 5 speed and Passon had to let it be known that they had spent a lot of time on designing there unit and wanted people to know that. As it turns out we haven't seen the McLeod unit yet, I'm glad I wasn't on that list!

I have to to disagree with you on the "Special folk" that got the first few. I have one and I am just a normal guy from small town Canada, I have no special connections and had never done business with Passon prior to this, I saw it talked about in the Mopar magazines years ago and called up put my name on the list and waited. About a year into the wait i was contacted and asked if I was really serious about buying one and if I was it was time for a 50% deposit so i forked out some of my hard earned money and waited for another year and a half and got one. Nothing special about that, if you want something that bad you have to wait, there were dates I was supposed to receive it that came and went and that was a bit frustrating but it is all part of it. I think part of the problem with the sale and marketing with these units is it was announced to early when it was still in design and development and far from the production point and I believe that this announcement was made early was because McLeod announced that they were coming out with there own 5 speed and Passon had to let it be known that they had spent a lot of time on designing there unit and wanted people to know that. As it turns out we haven't seen the McLeod unit yet, I'm glad I wasn't on that list!

Is it installed in your car? How does it shift? Was it worth the wait? Now that you have it ( and hopefully installed and you have driven the car). Would you buy it again or go another route? Don't hold out on us! We would like to know. :)

You know it sure is funny with these companies. Take Keisler for instance. I know they are out of business now, but look at The Green Brick. It had one in it what.......10 years ago? Longer? That sure is funny ain't it? Who all has a Passon transmission? Who got the first few? "Special folk" like Rick Ehrenberg, I bet. My money says Passon will fold under the pressure. I hope not, but I bet he does.

The Brick doesn't have a Passon in it...it has a Tremec, I think a TKO.

Well,definitly out of my budgetary means. Still a very nice transmission. I do have a 727,and not the huge $$ for a Passon...

Is it installed in your car? How does it shift? Was it worth the wait? Now that you have it ( and hopefully installed and you have driven the car). Would you buy it again or go another route? Don't hold out on us! We would like to know. :)

I installed it in my car last March. I now have around 2000 miles on it and they haven't been easy miles, it fit well and shifts great. I went from a four speed with 3.91 gears to this unit with 4.30 gears and run a lower rpm on the highway, its a great upgrade and definitely worth the wait in my opinion. I would love to have another one but I think it would be cost prohibitive. I hope Jamie gets his production issues sorted out and he gets more of these out to the masses.

Sounds like that increased production capacity might (very big MIGHT) also lower costs at some point. I've been sick of my 904 for a while now my main dilemma is whether I should go ahead and do a 4-speed conversion in the near future or just wait until I can afford an A-855.

I wish I could go back in time and convince Mopar buyers from back then to buy more 4-speed cars instead of automatics, ridiculous how expensive and difficult it is to put a manual in these cars nowadays mainly since there were like 10x as many automatics sold as manuals... lazy people lol

i just talked to Mcleod transmission and there 5 speed for Mopars should be ready by mid summer ... if you go on there website they have the GM version ... i askded what kind of price and he stated should right around same price 2795....

didn't know that 1320..... but good question when it is avail.. I would think that that unit may be usefull to more than half the A bodies out there...

I installed it in my car last March. I now have around 2000 miles on it and they haven't been easy miles, it fit well and shifts great. I went from a four speed with 3.91 gears to this unit with 4.30 gears and run a lower rpm on the highway, its a great upgrade and definitely worth the wait in my opinion. I would love to have another one but I think it would be cost prohibitive. I hope Jamie gets his production issues sorted out and he gets more of these out to the masses.

Awesome!! Thanks for the review!

I'm wondering what needs to be cut out to fit it in an A-body.........

This might help a bit...

mcleod_muscle_car_5_dimensions_1.jpg

Seems like a nice package but if I had the choice I would still go with the Passon just to support a Mopar-based business... $2000 is quite a bit of money though :???:

Whats the wire for? Reverse? if so, what is that (looks like a sensor to me) thing on the side of it (above the 14" and below the bolt)?

just left Passon yesterday as I picked up my 3 4 speed transmissions that he rebuilt. also picked up 2 for friends here in CT.

I asked about the 5 speed and he said he has a meeting this week. saw his mule, a 70 dart 340 car with indy motor. his stuff stays together.

says there are coming - hundreds on the list so if a few get off maybe you will move up!

I just talked to Passon on Friday and he's got currently a 9 month lead time on new orders and the Trans is just shy of $5k.

Who's going to Carlisle and will swing by and get a status update from Jamie?

So far I've put enough miles on the transmission to properly break it in (about 1500 miles now). It shifts flawlessly, and as a result of running lower gears than I had prior to installing it (3.91's vs 3.54's), the car is both quicker and faster. After breaking it in, I'm putting over 700 hp and nearly that much torque through it. My tires are 325-50/15 Nitto Drag Radials. They make the car safe to drive on the streets. Everything else I tried made the car feel like I was driving on snow covered roads. So far the transmission was well worth the investment, and I am confident it will continue to survive.

On one occasion, I side stepped the clutch at 6000rpm in first while stopped and the car leaped sideways 2 lanes and back by the time I took my foot out of it. I learned a few decades ago that a sudden torque application makes these cars do strange things that they normally don't do, like suddenly jumping over 2 lanes and back or spin an instantaneous 180 while getting on the freeway backwards while smoking the tires, so I made sure I had plenty of room.

Attachments

• Cuda 2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 709
Well, no update from Carlisle. Can someone get an update from Jamie at his booth in Columbus?

-
Back