Paypal Question

-

70SwingerGuy

Reaction score
So Ive seen people on here selling items and saying that they will accept Paypal "friends and family" as a method of payment. Ive only ever sent funds via regular Paypal, so what is the difference, and why would they specify friends and family and not just paypal?

So Ive seen people on here selling items and saying that they will accept Paypal "friends and family" as a method of payment. Ive only ever sent funds via regular Paypal, so what is the difference, and why would they specify friends and family and not just paypal?
Because there are no fees involved. But, you also lose any buyer protection Paypal offers.

Friends and Family sidesteps their charges for money transfers. There is no security in case the transaction goes bad.

All a gamble IMHO. I've bought quite a few items from members here and thank goodness have not been burned once.

I sent a USPS M.O. on transactions which are like gold here in the States, Canada is a whole 'nother animal.

I do suggest talking to seller as I made a major purchase for serious money on a used/hot 340 from a member. Dealio went well, delivered, running and just now dialing in after install after months of BS on my end.

Unfortunately you do have to put faith in the seller as it might be sometime before you know what you actually bought and paid for.

Whenever i sell my parts i always give the buyer the options by paying Friends or Family, or Goods and Services.
I calculate what the price will be for either type of payment, and tell them, so they can make up their own decision on how the would want to pay me.
I have a good reputation on these web sites, and I'll bet you 95% of my buyers pay thru Family or Friends.

Sending money “friends and family” on PayPal is like putting cash in an envelope and sending it to the seller. If anything goes wrong with the sale, you’re SOL. The moment that money leaves your account there is zero recourse.

It’s a way for the seller to skip PayPal fees, which is what pays for all of your buyer protections. It also allows the seller to skip out on paying taxes because it’s not recorded anywhere as a sale.

There are plenty of scammers out there that require “friends and family” payments for that reason, there’s nothing you can do if they don’t ship your part, or if it’s been misrepresented, etc.

If you don’t personally know the seller, sending money “friends and family” is a big risk.

I’ve bought and sold through FABO and I’d say your odds are better than a lot of online markets, but I have needed to use PayPal’s buyer protections even buying from members on this site.

Whenever i sell my parts i always give the buyer the options by paying Friends or Family, or Goods and Services.
I calculate what the price will be for either type of payment, and tell them, so they can make up their own decision on how the would want to pay me.
I have a good reputation on these web sites, and I'll bet you 95% of my buyers pay thru Family or Friends.
I've never used "Friends and Family" anywhere but here...
I do it with All of my FABO Brethren.
I kinda like you guys, and I've never been burned.

Some sellers don't like the one sided protection policies that paypal has employed. DAMHIK.

There are about 20 of my relay kits out there that were paid for using goods, buyer claims to have never gotten item, Paypal took the money back. I'm out the item AND the cash. I know of at least 10 kits that are on the cars they claim to have never received. As a seller, the recourse I have to chase payment at that point is not viable.

Dicks! Sorry to read Rob. I guess add on the cost of a "signature" from now on?
I also offer buyers to pay either way, it's up to them. I just ask that the buyer add enuf to cover fees.
Some sellers don't like the one sided protection policies that paypal has employed. DAMHIK.

There are about 20 of my relay kits out there that were paid for using goods, buyer claims to have never gotten item, Paypal took the money back. I'm out the item AND the cash. I know of at least 10 kits that are on the cars they claim to have never received. As a seller, the recourse I have to chase payment at that point is not viable.

While that’s absolutely terrible, that’s also what tracking numbers are for. You can input tracking numbers directly into PayPal, and it prevents some of those claims from being investigated depending on the level of tracking. You don’t have to require a signature to get a picture of the item at the buyers front door.

I had a member here buy a carburetor from me, paid for through PayPal as goods/services. I shipped it tracked and insured. He claimed he never got it, filed a claim, and demanded his money back. I put the tracking number into PayPal, showing it was delivered directly to a person at his address. Magically he replied he had the carb and dropped the case before they found against him.

Before I ship something out as a seller I take a new picture of the item sitting on the box, one in the box with the packing, and one of the sealed package with the label, and they all go tracked and insured for the sold value or better. Sucks, takes a little more time, costs more money. But it stops the bullshit, and helps with the insurance if it gets damaged en route.

I always ship Canada Post/USPS. They aren't taking any pictures. Also a member(buyer) on here had a mixup. Delivery company(forget who) took a pic of pkg at front door. We'll it turns out it wasn't his front door lol. Luckily he had an honest neighbour who had it.
So there are always caveats and nothings bullet/fool proof.
While that’s absolutely terrible, that’s also what tracking numbers are for. You can input tracking numbers directly into PayPal, and it prevents some of those claims from being investigated depending on the level of tracking. You don’t have to require a signature to get a picture of the item at the buyers front door.

I had a member here buy a carburetor from me, paid for through PayPal as goods/services. I shipped it tracked and insured. He claimed he never got it, filed a claim, and demanded his money back. I put the tracking number into PayPal, showing it was delivered directly to a person at his address. Magically he replied he had the carb and dropped the case before they found against him.

Before I ship something out as a seller I take a new picture of the item sitting on the box, one in the box with the packing, and one of the sealed package with the label, and they all go tracked and insured for the sold value or better. Sucks, takes a little more time, costs more money. But it stops the bullshit, and helps with the insurance if it gets damaged en route.

I always ship Canada Post/USPS. They aren't taking any pictures. Also a member(buyer) on here had a mixup. Delivery company(forget who) took a pic of pkg at front door. We'll it turns out it wasn't his front door lol. Luckily he had an honest neighbour who had it.
So there are always caveats and nothings bullet/fool proof.

USPS absolutely takes pictures, you can sign up for “informed delivery” and there are advanced tracking options.

No clue about Canada Post.

If a delivery company delivers to the wrong address, that’s on them and that’s what the insurance is for.

Absolutely nothing is foolproof, scammers always have a new scam and sometimes crap just happens. But if you take some basic precautions you can protect yourself pretty well. And some of those things help the buyer too, better tracking and insurance keep things simple, less questions, more transparency and better peace of mind.

One time... I needed a Cam. 66FS talked to his Friend at RacerBrown and had Two Cams drawn up for each of us.
Mine was paid for (Friends&Family) and then lost in the mail.
66FS sent His Cam to me cuz he felt bad for me?
It was also lost... An Investigation was started (Cams were sent to the Right Number but Wrong Street)
and Soon Both Cams showed-up at My door the same day!
Hell Yeah! I Immediately Sent His Cam straight back to him!
Btw, 66fs... Awesome Dude!

20220511_214404.jpg

Last edited:

Tracking numbers were entered, still got screwed over.

There are 2 main reasons why I only take Pay Pal Friends and Family.

1. It saves me charging the buyer a 3.5% transaction fee that is charged when using regular Goods & Service PayPal over the Friends & Family option.

2. PayPal does not issue an IRS 1099 when you receive money via Friends & Family. If a seller takes in more than $600 in payments via PayPal Goods & Services per year you get a 1099.

This is why I offer the option of a check or money order for those that do not use PayPal or will only pay via Goods & Services.

I've never had any issue ever paying anyone with Friends & Family, because I understand that 99.9% of us on here are not a business.

Now, would I send a payment to a new member with zero history? Absolutely not, but if you've been around the forums you know who you can deal with and who you shouldn't.

Tom

i got smoked by a member here too. used standard PP and covered the fees on my end.

usual dirtball excuses: i'm working a lot of over time, i sent it, my wife sent it i need to get the tracking from her, blah blah blah. and then just stopped responding. filed a PP dispute and got nothing. super lame.

anyway, don't buy anything from user @MoparMark91 Mark Kidwell is a scumbag rip off artist.

Good to know Rob and sorry to read guys. I had one guy on here TRY @OhioMopar and whenever I see that douchebags name pop up, I refresh the thread I started.

i got smoked by a member here too. used standard PP and covered the fees on my end.

usual dirtball excuses: i'm working a lot of over time, i sent it, my wife sent it i need to get the tracking from her, blah blah blah. and then just stopped responding. filed a PP dispute and got nothing. super lame.

anyway, don't buy anything from user @MoparMark91 Mark Kidwell is a scumbag rip off artist.

-
Back