pearl additive

-

mattb1977

Reaction score
Hi, I just got a quart of bright white pearl mixing color from a friend and was wondering if it can be added to the paint I am going to use to paint my Dart. I am using OMNI pure white acrylic enamel, the pearl white is a synthetic enamel. I've never mixed colors or added pearls before, just mix and shoot. Will this work with my paint? I just don't want to ruin a new gallon of paint ! Thnaks for the help and all input.

You would have to put in on top to get the "pearl effect". Mixing them togther, which I do not recommend, the pearl would get lost in the color. I would use the JH6002 acrylic enamel hardener in the paint. Gives it a little more durability.

Bob

+2 on Bob's comment. Also, if you decide to use pearl. Keep in mind that it is very hard to match if you need to repaing a fender or other panel.

That makes a great point. I don't understand what it means by mixing color on the can?

What your wanting to achive would be considered a 3 stage color. First you need to spray out a white basecoat. The powdered pearl would get mixed with a clear basecoat like PPG DBC500 3 coats. Then topcoated with clearcoat.

Gloss white is a great color as long as you keep it clean. Make sure you use hardener or bake the finish.

Good choice on not using pearl :thumleft: The hardener shur makes the paint lay down don't it :love10:
Makes me miss painting ;-)
The old saying was "DO IT RIGHT PAINT IT WHITE" :toothy2:
keep us updated and enjoy.

The car now is white, I like the look, so I figure why change it. I'll use that pearl additive crap for target practice !

-
Back