Pedal to Z-bar?

-

la67DartGT

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm pretty close to finishing up the 4-speed swap........I got the zbar in and the bracket welded in place and all seems pretty cool. then I went to put the linkage from the pedal to the zbar on, and I can't figure it out. No matter which way I put it on, it really doesn't fit. Either it binds against the pedal assembly or the firewall, or the end really doesn't meet the zbar. I'm pretty sure I have the zbar in correctly, as I found in a diagram, but the diagram didn't have this part drawn in. Any ideas? It's a 67 dart GT with a smallblock. Maybe I have the wrong linkage for this car? From the way it went on, it almost seems like a straight bar, or at least one with less of a bend in it would fit better. Any thoughts?

pedaltoZ.jpg

Thanks!

- Don

That does look like the correct linkage for A body car. Are you sure that your z-bar is in the correct place? The side with the spring clip that holds the ball stud in place shoulb be on the inner fender side. The other end that does not have the spring clip should be on the engine side. I will see if I can find my manual and get a picture. Matt

Here are a few pictures of the pedals and linkage form my 69 manual should be the same for you. Hope this helps you. I had to take a picture with my camera. Matt

IMG_1879.jpg

IMG_1880.jpg

IMG_1881.jpg

Looking at your picture, rotate it 180 degrees, bent end in top of pic attaches to the z-bar, straight end in bottom of pic attaches to the pedal. If it still doesn't fit, wrong z-bar.

BTW, nice garage floor.

This is a pic of the pedal clutch rod to Z-bar for a 72 A-body, hopefully it will help by showing how it looks when they are connected. Are you sure you have the correct Z-bar?

Pedal Rod to Z Bar.JPG

I have the wrong Z-bar, just have to cut and weld the inner arm in the right location or modify the threaded rod to fit right.

Those pics are perfect. I think I have the right rod, but the z-bar may be suspect. In Demon 408's pic, the zbar sits against the bracket that bolts to the bellhousing. Mine doesn't. Mine actually sits off just a bit, but I"ll have to go take a pic to show you guys what it looks like. It is on in the right direction, with the clip against the inner fender. I'll have to go get a pic and see what you guys think.

Thanks pntastar69.......that's a cheapo floor covering that you paint over the concrete. It's awesome....oil and tranny fluid and such just cleans right up.....it's nice.

I'll go get some pics.

- Don

Ok, here's the pic of the zbar installed. With light in there I can actually see on the bracket where it should sit and ride.......with that gap there, I think my zbar is wrong. Which would explain why the top arm does not line up where it should. I could almost move it over to meet that bracket and that would make the top arm probably line up where it's supposed to be, but it's fixed on the ballstud on the inner fender with that clip that holds the inner bushing assembly together. So it doesn't just move over to the side. Do i have the wrong zbar?

zbarinstalled.jpg

Thanks all!

- Don

Possibly, but it could also be the bracket that bolts to the bell housing. Where does it line up best with the pedal rod, when it's pushed over toward the motor/bell housing or when it's pushed over toward the ball stud on the inner fender? Check out pictures of Z-bar and bell housing ball studs on Brewers Web site. It may help figure out what part is wrong.

http://www.brewersperformance.com/default.htm

For the rod to line up properly, the zbar needs to be moved towards the bellhousing. The whole thing needs to move over. But, the zbar looks right, including the arm for the clutch adj. rod if you look really close at the pics on brewers. http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TS238

Unfortunately there are no other dimensions on the bar listed at brewers, so I can't be sure, but the pics look closest to what I have for the 67 bar listed there.

The bracket at the bellhousing also appears to be correct (well, it's listed as 68 to 71) but it's the closest listed and the closest in looking like mine.

http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BSB482

Another detail pic of my setup.

Zbarsetup.jpg

I'm not sure at this point. Maybe I'll call brewer's on Monday and talk to someone there to get a little more insight. I'm doing something wrong. :)

Thanks for all of the help!

Actually, if I look really close at the bar on brewers, maybe my zbar is wrong. It looks like the top arm that should connect to the pedal is angled backwards to what is on brewers. Hard to tell though, because the brewer's pic needs to be from the side. It just looks like where it anles is backwards of mine. Oh well. I'll talk to brewers on monday and see if I can learn anything.

I had the same problem 67 used a different bracket than the 68/69.Wayne at brewers was the one that figured that out for me.Your clutch rod looks like the right one.There is only one z-bar for a small block mopar.

Ok, it get's interesting now...........I talked to Wayne at brewer's yesterday, and then went home last night and took a look at some things. The zbar tube should be 7" long, and mine is exactly 7". Also, for the bracket on the bellhousing, it's correct for the 10.5" bellhousing.

So last night I unbolted the ballstud at the inner fender and pushed the zbar all the way over to the bracket on the bellhousing. Fits perfectly and the clutch pedal rod lines up perfectly this way. This presented two problems.

1. I have to space the ballstud at the inner fender in towards the bellhousing with washers to make this fit properly (may not work because I may not have enough thread inside the wheelwell to fit the nut back on to tighten it up).

2. The stock hole on the inner fender does not line up with the bracket on the bellhousing. It's a bit low and towards the front of the car in relation to where the zbar tube sits on the ballstud at the bellhousing. Can/Should I re-align this by making a new hole in the inner fender and moving the bracket at the frame rail? If I space this ballstud in towards the engine with washers where it sits now, we're going to have one weird *** angle for the zbar to ride. But with the ball studs, maybe the angle is possible?

OR.....something else is wrong? Wrong bellhousing maybe? I don't know. Is there somewhere I can look for casting numbers on the bellhousing to be certain it's correct?

What do you guys think?

Talked to Brewers again.....something definitely wrong. Just not sure what. Going to go play some more tonight and check some other things. I'll keep you all updated.

WOOHOO! Getting somewhere now. I found a picture I had taken of my bellhousing that gave me the casting number. It's a 72-up bellhousing, which, according to Brewer's site means that I'm using the wrong ballstud bracket at the bellhousing. If I had the period correct bellhousing, my bracket would be right. Brewers has the one that I need. That should take care of the alignment problem, and hopefully some other things. I'll let you guys know!

Ok.....got the new bracket on the bellhousing, and now everything magically lines up exactly where it should. The only question I still have is that the zbar sits off of the bellhousing bracket by about 1/2". Is this correct, or even ok? I know it rides on the nylon bushing but was wondering if it is supposed to ride up against the bracket like in the pics above from Demon 408?

Look at Demon 408's pix early in the thread. Looks like the z-bar is flush against the bell ball stud bracket w/a gap on the frame ball stud. All depends on the length of the z-bar, original, or someone cut one down to fit. As long as it moves freely w/no binding, should be good to go.

I have about 1/2" of the tapered area of the ball stud showing on both ends, bell and frame side. Looks like mine is centered between the ball studs/brackets.

-
Back