Personal information at checkout

-

Big Dad

Reaction score
went into a big box store today , bought a couple small items .. then here comes the questions, phone number? which I gave her a false one , says , can't find you .. Name? I said, no thanks, just let me pay here and I'll be on my way, well we need it for warranty and returns (it was 1.29 drop sheet for paint spills) sorry , don't want to give my info ..she I think wanted to tell me I couldn't buy anything ..

and, a lady all dressed up in fancy clothes, picked up a special mixed gallon, paint lady didn't get lid on tight, all over it went .. wow, was that a mess

If I am at a store I frequent that has a loyalty program, I don't mind giving them my phone number. Then they say, "Mike?" I say yes, and I'm on my way. If I am not in a store I frequent, I say, "No thank you". they usually say OK and move on. If they get pushy, I ask for a manager. I have never had them call for a manager; they continue checking me out.
WHEN I AM NOT GOING THROUGH A SELF CHECKOUT, THAT IS.
The other thing that really pisses me off is when I stand in line to buy, for example, coffee, and the kid behind the counter spins the screen around to face me asking how much of a tip I want to leave. Sometimes "No Tip" is an option, and sometimes I have to select "custom amount" and then add zero. With one exception, I refuse to give a tip for counter service. There is a soft serve ice cream place very near me called Pineapple Dream. I go there frequently. The kids that work there are always SO friendly and truly happy that you came in, I always put something in the tip jar. I have met the owner, and he told me that he interviews and selects his employees carefully and that he pays them enough that they are happy to be working there. I walk out of there with a smile on my face every time.

I remember many years ago, friend was at the check out.....
Just to be friendly, he said to the checkout girl, 'How's every little thing'...
And she replied, 'Mine's ok, how's yours'....

If I am a member of a loyalty program (and there are some that work) I'll give my phone number, but that's it.

If I am at a store I frequent that has a loyalty program, I don't mind giving them my phone number. Then they say, "Mike?" I say yes, and I'm on my way. If I am not in a store I frequent, I say, "No thank you". they usually say OK and move on. If they get pushy, I ask for a manager. I have never had them call for a manager; they continue checking me out.
WHEN I AM NOT GOING THROUGH A SELF CHECKOUT, THAT IS.
The other thing that really pisses me off is when I stand in line to buy, for example, coffee, and the kid behind the counter spins the screen around to face me asking how much of a tip I want to leave. Sometimes "No Tip" is an option, and sometimes I have to select "custom amount" and then add zero. With one exception, I refuse to give a tip for counter service. There is a soft serve ice cream place very near me called Pineapple Dream. I go there frequently. The kids that work there are always SO friendly and truly happy that you came in, I always put something in the tip jar. I have met the owner, and he told me that he interviews and selects his employees carefully and that he pays them enough that they are happy to be working there. I walk out of there with a smile on my face every time.

Agreed on your tipping policy. I do the same!!

Yeah, the tipping before service thing is just BS. I always hit zero, unless it’s a place I’ve been to before and know the service is good. The one that really pisses me off of when the place wants an ID to return something when you have the receipt. I always ask for the privacy policy and refuse to hand them my ID. I tried to return something to Target a few weeks back, they wanted ID, I told them I only have a passport card, they said that a passport is not accepted, I told the checker I want to speak to a manager. So yeah, Target will not accept a federal ID aka the passport. **** them, I walked out, called the corporate office and got ahold of the legal department and dropped a few US codes on them cus they can’t refute a Federal ID card nor ask for ID for returns with a receipt. But since people don’t know any better….

-
Back