Pick a cam for me

-

ike61

Reaction score
Howdy all. I posted this question some time ago, but i have since made changes. Here is what i have:
78 police 360
Re-ring the original pistons, factory 72 340 intake, thermoquad carb, windage tray, factory heads with 3 angle valve job, 340 valve springs, factory exhaust manifolds, 323 gears, od833 four speed. Looking for 300 hp. Going in a 76 swinger.

also should i get moly rings or standard? Thanks!

Stock 340 would be great. If you choose a aftermarket one go small. 218 or less @ 50.

This one looks just fine.

Wait for the gurus to come in and trash talk it in favor of something with fast ramps and new technology. But that type cam is perfect for a street car....something you're going to drive A LOT. You don't want some hot fast rate of lift cam smacking the valves open and slamming them shut everyday on the street. It'll be noisy and not last near as long. Now wait for the gurus to say "I got a bajillion zillion miles on my 367 with a fast lift cam....blah blah blah". Just ask yourself whose money you're spending.

Wait for the gurus to come in and trash talk it in favor of something with fast ramps and new technology. But that type cam is perfect for a street car....something you're going to drive A LOT. You don't want some hot fast rate of lift cam smacking the valves open and slamming them shut everyday on the street. It'll be noisy and not last near as long. Now wait for the gurus to say "I got a bajillion zillion miles on my 367 with a fast lift cam....blah blah blah". Just ask yourself whose money you're spending.
Say Rusty what's up? I agreed with your pick.

Yep, they've given me crap for saying the same thing... :popcorn:

People feel better when other people do as they do . Lol
He wont never know the diff anyways.

He'll never know the difference regardless of what he chooses since he cannot run more than one cam at the time.

Oh boy! Here we go again.....

With what you did, the factory 330 cam will do it.

I like 273’s link.

Oh boy! Here we go again.....

With what you did, the factory 330 cam will do it.

I like 273’s link.

You know, anything at or under the 340 cam will just be great. It's just "not hard". lol

Look at the dyno difference between the comp xe250 vs xe 268 is 35 hp and there's a xe 256 and xe 262 in between which averages like 12 hp gain from one cam to another. So how much difference of power could be similar spec cam across cam companies ?

The Melling cam vs the Summit cam vs Xe262h all would be similar performers probably all within less than 10 hp of each other.

IDK, is those tricky pointy nosed Chevy lobes ya know!
:lol:
Look at the dyno difference between the comp xe250 vs xe 268 is 35 hp and there's a xe 256 and xe 262 in between which averages like 12 hp gain from one cam to another. So how much difference of power could be similar spec cam across cam companies ?

The Melling cam vs the Summit cam vs Xe262h all would be similar performers probably all within less than 10 hp of each other.

I think the question is "what will get 300 HP with under .5 lift"

-
Back