Pick up coil

-

F21

Reaction score
OK, here’s one for you guys was driving home from Woodward last night lined up with my brother on 59 to catch a lane right after hitting third gear quick backfire and the car stalled I have a couple theories on what happened. Have you guys ever seen this?

IMG_1583.jpeg

OK, here’s one for you guys was driving home from Woodward last night lined up with my brother on 59 to catch a lane right after hitting third gear quick backfire and the car stalled I have a couple theories on what happened. Have you guys ever seen this?

View attachment 1716278498
:lol: Wow! The pick up blew up.

View attachment 1716278498

Wow, I have seen coils go out, but never seen one come out.

Just recently had to get a new one for one of our cars and it was 30 bucks (and from China of course)

Have you ever seen this @halifaxhops?

charging voltage through the coil? It should run through a ballast. @F21

I think the housing for the windings came loose and got caught up in the reluctant wheel, then pulled all the wiring out

Have you ever seen this @halifaxhops?

charging voltage through the coil? It should run through a ballast. @F21

Ignition voltage doesn’t normally pass through that coil.
It should only be the 1 volt or so generated by the magnetic function as the reluctor tip passes.

I think the housing for the windings came loose and got caught up in the reluctant wheel, then pulled all the wiring out

I think you hit it on the head.

Hahaha I have never seen anything like that before either when I pulled the cap off, I was like what the

Luckily, I had an old distributor at the house. Ran home to grab it. I was able to rig the pick up coil out of that to get me home.

I do not see how a 'short' in the ECU could cause this. Would expect to see some burned wire strands....Plus, with a new p/up, the OP drove home ok.

I think the p/up came loose & got tangled up with the reluctor &/or other parts.

Seen it in the aftermarket ones with the large reluctor, upper shaft bent and hit the pickup coil. Wow!

Ok, I want to hear the explanation of how your beard wound up inside his distributor.

Be as detailed as you can.

Asking for a friend…
Lol, I honestly don't know how except maybe copper thieves

It will not happen with this one. I epoxy the housing so no chance of it coming loose

IMG_1651.jpeg

From what I have seen with the MSD & Chrys p/ups, the coil assy is merely pushed onto the steel projection. Just relies on being a tight fit. If not tight, or gets a bump, could come loose.

-
Back