pics of homemade shock plates

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
sorry I didn't get pics BEFORE i put them on the car.....but here they are installed

oops.....HERE we go

shock_plate.JPG

shock_plate_front.JPG

shock_plate_rear.JPG

Sus_rear.JPG

Shock mounts look nice. But, why do the spring segments not line up? I see the offset shackle. Did you not move the spring perches in accordingly?

yes, i moved everything in accordingly.....it has to do with one of 2 things.....either the fact that the retarded PO didn't move the perches in from the original B-body location, or because i only have one clamp on the front for now....the springs may have gotten a little warped fromn being pulled inward 1/2", but it didn't look like it when i had them apart for blasting/painting....and if it's because of just 1 clamp on the front, i'll put another clamp on both sides and see if that does anything....

as far as tires........those are brand spankin new drag radials.....less than 150 miles on them.....275/50-15

Am i seeing things or is your gas tank strap running the wrong way? :scratch:

Nice looking plates. How'd you do it?
How much to make? how long?
Inquiring minds want to know. :lol:

I agree the springs look off. We need a picture of the other side to really see whats going on.
Have you driven it since you put it back together?

Green67cuda Looks good! You seem to be pretty good at fabing. You should try making a set of those homemade caltracs that Adam posted, it would really finish it off nice!

ok....let's see if i can answer everyone's questions....
yes, i have driven it since i got it back together...drives great...a little better, actually, having the nylon front eye bushings I made and having the spring perches where they belong, instead of 1/2" outboard per side

as far as the plates go....
material cost me nothing ("scraps" at work), it took me one full night at work, because I had work to do as well, and could only work on them during my downtime, but then I still had to blast them and paint them

they are 1/4" steel plate. I cut the main flat area in roughly the same dimensions as the originals, but since they were 7 1/4 plates, i made them a tad longer to accomodate the larger U-bolts. I made the sides for the shock mount and gusset of 1/4" plate, also roughly the size of the originals, but with more squareness to the main plate, that way I didn't have to make any compound angles or anything
then I drilled all the holes at the right spacing for the u bolts and the center pin. after that, it was ready for welding, which, like i said before, i used the arc welder instead of the MIG for SOME STUPID reason
oh yeah, and the opposite end from the shock mount got a 3/4x1/4 strip welded vertically for bracing against bending

then sandblast, wash, and paint with "cast aluminum" ceramic engine paint, so it looks like bare metal, like my front control arms

i'll try to get a view up fron the bottom to show the shape of them

and also a pic of the passenger side spring.....but I think the biggest problem is that I only have 1 spring clamp per side......

if need-be, I can make a blueprint with paint or someting and give all the dimensions and spacing I used, unless what i already posted answered your questions.....

pass_rear_sus.JPG

shock_plate_bottom.JPG

pardon my chicken-poo welding on them....the back side looked really great...i dunno what happened on this side, but it works....just looks like poo....

Nice. This pic shows just how much those offset shackle/hangers buy you on tire clearance. I may have to get a set of those when I'm ready to bolt in my 8-3/4. I wonder if Caltracs will work with them. :-k

Yeah, I've seen that pic before but didn't realize it had offset shackles. That's good to know. I suppose the key to fitting a wider tire is getting enough offset in the wheel.

4.25/4.5 is about as much backspacing you can run with the springs in the stock location and have good clearance left.

I ran 4-7/8 and it would rub with my 255-60-15s.

You see how the springs are slightly off on each segment?
Then the bushing on that side is squished more than the other side. It looks like something is off somewhere. Both sides are identical almost like the spring perches are to far out.

Sus_rear.JPG

You can see that in this pic too. That and the leaf segments not lining up is why I asked the question yesterday about moving the perches in to accomodate the offset shackles.

hmmmmm........
wonder if it really is from the PO having the springs pulled outward to line up with the stock B-body perches....
The perches wound up being 1 1/4" inboard from where they were, which would be right (1/2" for the B-A body change, then 3/4 (.8) for the offset shackles.....

I put the springs in, THEN connected/adjusted the axle housing with the perches sandwiched so I could get the right positions on the housing, then tacked the perches in 6 places, then removed the housing for full welding........hmmmmmmm

ok....just looked closely.....looking at it, i don't see a difference, but I can in the pics....in person, they look the same.....here's a closeup....maybe it was the angle in the other pics???

shackle3.JPG

-
Back