Piece identification help

-

Vandal

Reaction score
This is from a slant six can anyone help identify this piece a bolt is broken so I want to see if I can just buy a new one but I’m still learning and don’t know what piece that is lol. And I’m not talking about the exhaust manifold I mean that thing mounted on it

D4D2FF25-4DF6-40F0-AF6A-1DEF6114F287.jpeg

what I see is a choke spring and rod .. manifold heats spring inside metal cover pushing the rod or pulling the rod to open choke as engine warms up ....

That's a '70-'72 exhaust manifold, and you're asking about the choke thermostat assembly. That '70-'72 exhaust manifold and choke setup has special issues; see here. The original-type '70-'72 choke thermostats can still be found (look on eBay or call up Old Car Parts Northwest) but unless you have a reason why you must use this manifold, you're better off swapping on a new one—uncracked, unwarped, and with the '73-up closed choke pocket setup, much less prone to leaks and hassles; see here. If you do that, you'd want to use a № 1231 electric choke kit.

Either way, it is very much worth your while to get the good gaskets for the manifolds-to-head and intake-to-exhaust junctions.

-
Back