Pilot Bearing Size Concerns

-

James440

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm struggling to determine what pilot bearing is on my car. As far as I know, it's a 1969 318 paired to a 1976 A833. The OD of the bearing is 2.25", but the only ones I can find that are common are close to 1.815" OD. I reached out to Brewer's Performance, but they have never seen it before. Has anyone heard of or seen this bearing before and can help me out? Thanks!
I've attached some pictures of it.

James

20210713_221227.jpg

20210714_092016.jpg

20210714_092030.jpg

I've never seen anything like that, except imports, etc. You probably know by now that the newer "jeep" style has rollers that ride right on the shaft. Most bearings such as you see there are metric.

If I'm reading your (metric?) tape correctly, OD is 46+ mm, which looks like standard:
More Information for NATIONAL FC69907 (rockauto.com)
(Info pulled from 1992 D250 360 V8)

I don't believe it, but I've been reading my tape measure wrong all morning. My friend lost my Craftsman SAE tape measure last week and I'm still waiting on the replacement to come in.. found this metric one in the drawer and it's what I've been using since.:mad: I feel like a real idiot right now
Thank you so much guys!

Well.........and jus saying you can't really measure that stuff with a tape. I would "assume" the crank is stock until you know different

The register in the crankshaft & the ID of the bearing needs to be measured with an ID/OD caliper to get a correct measurement in my opinion.

I don't believe it, but I've been reading my tape measure wrong all morning. My friend lost my Craftsman SAE tape measure last week and I'm still waiting on the replacement to come in.. found this metric one in the drawer and it's what I've been using since.:mad: I feel like a real idiot right now
Thank you so much guys!
Don't beat yourself up. We all have brain farts now and then... :thumbsup:

I STILL remember the old days of car parts. I once worked for a large parts house in town. We were a factory dist. for Timken, Fafnir bearings, and Browning sprockets/ sheaves/ taper lock products and pillow blocks. MOST ocmmon ball bearings are metric

But one "glitch" that CAN REALLY GET YOU is stuff like homeowner table saws and other stuff such as that Let's say you have a table saw and the bearings arbor has a 3/4" shaft which of course is .75, and this is only "off" from the closest metric bearing which is 19mm and is .748 by TWO THOUSANDS two small

So here is what did/ can happen..........The bearing the manf. put in there originally is a metric OD and ID bearing that has had the INNER BORE HONED to fit a 3/4" shaft. AND IT HAS the metric part numbers clearly stamped on the side seals. THE REAL part number is INKED around the outside of the outer race...where it can easily get destroyed "by anything."

So that bearing started out being a common metric 204SS bearing, let's say. But now it's been honed out .002 by the manf to fit the larger shaft. So WHAT does the owner do?

HE TAKES THE CLEARLY MARKED 204 down to the parts store and "we" sell him a nice new 204 METRIC bearing. And HE takes it home AND ATTEMPTS TO BEAT IT ONTO THE 3/4" SHAFT until he ruins the bearing and the shaft!!!!

Hello,

I'm struggling to determine what pilot bearing is on my car. As far as I know, it's a 1969 318 paired to a 1976 A833. The OD of the bearing is 2.25", but the only ones I can find that are common are close to 1.815" OD. I reached out to Brewer's Performance, but they have never seen it before. Has anyone heard of or seen this bearing before and can help me out? Thanks!
I've attached some pictures of it.

James

View attachment 1715765143

View attachment 1715765144

View attachment 1715765145
That bearing's inside diameter look to be quite a bit larger than an A833 input shaft tip so the input would not be supported. If, by chance, it is correct diameter then it would be a steel bearing against a steel input shaft where a typical bushing bearing would be Oilite (bronze) or greased needle bearings against a steel input shaft.

Will the usual old style pilot bushing or a 53009180AB sleeve/needle bearing work for you?

-
Back