Pistol grip shifter

-

340 swinger

Reaction score
Does anybody here have for sale or know where to buy a A body pistol grip shifter? I may even settle for a screw on pistol grip shifter knob if there is such a thing. I have seen some on ebay but the wood grain knobs look really cheap (plastic grips), and the aluminum ones sort of give it the auto ratchet look.

The correct shifter to use in an a body is a 71 and later B body, non console shifter. No factory A body shifters were ever made.

This guy here is from my home town and I know he used to make direct bolt on pistol grip shifters that bolted straight into the factory a body shifter box. I am not seeing it on the website but you could give him a call and ask because I know he used to make them.

http://www.harmsauto.com/ His name is Scott

Jeff

the small ones does work but be carefull you will hit the dash with your hand when shifting to third 71b bench is the right one! a little bit longer throw

DSC01445.jpg

Just bought it!That,s why I just posted the other site.Get your Visa out!!Hint Hint!!They are not cheap!I think you can get just the handle(plastic)mines real cherry wood.

wow i love those grips, does anyone know where to get colored or stained inserts similar to those pretty red ones. i just got my repro. shifter but a set of grips like that would really set it off.

The correct shifter to use in an a body is a 71 and later B body, non console shifter. No factory A body shifters were ever made.

The new Summit book shows hurst pistol grip shifters in pretty much what ever you want, including the 71 - 74 B body non console. Seems to be a good price too for $ 168. Cheapest I could find on ebay was aroung $ 249. My question is that in the Summit book it shows about 4 or 5 shifters one beside the other starting with long curvy shifters down to a shorter and more straight lever and handle. I am assuming that is the one that will fit my A body 4 speed since it looks similiar to the shifter shaft I have now. Any guidance would greatly be appreciated.

Jason at GUNSLINGER designs and makes the shifters he sells. He sets up all major shows.

He donates grips and assorted parts to the charity Mopar show here in CT every year for door prizes.

Tell him Joel from ChryslerConvention sent you for possible discount.
Joel

Will this work in an A-body with a front bench? Looking at the couple of pics posted, it looks like they'll only work with a console (or at least, just with buckets). Hope I'm wrong, cause I want one!

Edit: Nevermind, just found the link for A-body pistol grip shifters.

In case anyone's lookin: http://www.thedrivenman.com/ke/mopar/transmissions/shift_handle.html#Shift Handle Boot (Pistol)

I've never heard of this pistol grip ? In A bodys no less !

mopar019-1.jpg

I've never heard of this pistol grip ? In A bodys no less !

They were not put in any A bodies. I ordered and installed 71 and up non console (looks like the one in your pic), from Summit and was a good fit.

They were not put in any A bodies. I ordered and installed 71 and up non console (looks like the one in your pic), from Summit and was a good fit.

I was joking, that pistol grip is in my Dart . And yes I love it.

spook50? what boot are you using in that pic?

If you buy from your dodge dealer, like I did will cost you $385 cn. and takes 5 days to come in. It was expensive but I'm glad I did it, Cause it's awsome.

I got mine from Brewers.. I went with the E-Body shifter and like it. No problem with hitting the dash. This is in my 66 Dart..Here's the link to Brewers...http://www.brewersperformance.com/products.asp?id=111

I have an 833 from a '72 'Cuda, which I am contemplating putting into an auto trans '68 'Cuda. I noticed the shifter relocation plate that someone posted in another thread (to put an E-body 833 into an A-body). Are you using an A-body or E-body 833?

When you are seated, where is your hand on the shifter in relation to your right leg in 1st and 2nd gears? Comfortable? High, low, just right? How is the reach for 3rd and 4th?

Sorry about all the questions.

I have an 833 from a '72 'Cuda, which I am contemplating putting into an auto trans '68 'Cuda. I noticed the shifter relocation plate that someone posted in another thread (to put an E-body 833 into an A-body). Are you using an A-body or E-body 833?

When you are seated, where is your hand on the shifter in relation to your right leg in 1st and 2nd gears? Comfortable? High, low, just right? How is the reach for 3rd and 4th?

Sorry about all the questions.

You are asking the same questions that I'm curious about. I have a 67 cuda with a 833 already installed. I have the Hurst T-handle shifter right now. I like the one marklock has better than the short one but it looks awfully close to the dash. Pictures can be deceiving however.

my 833 is from a duster and the shifter is for a 71 b body. The shifter is no closer to the dash than any b body. I love mine and it makes going through the gears a blast. IMHO its a good fit.

-
Back