Piston rings

-

340Dart

Obsessive Dart Disorder
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does any body use the Total Seal gapless rings? I was thinking of the gapless 2nd ring set S4960-30 5/64 ring set. I have the 243 KB pistons. I called them and they said I can use the gapless 2nd ring set with these pistons. Total Seal said the same thing as long as I gap the top ring per KB . Would these be the best ring or are their better? These are expensive and I want to get my money's worth. Thanks for any info.

Fred B

I'm using Total Seal file-fit rings CR3690 65 on mine with KB IC745 pistons (forged step dish for 4" stroke). You gap the top ring per KB specs, and the 2nd ring per Total Seal specs.

Does any body use the Total Seal gapless rings? I was thinking of the gapless 2nd ring set S4960-30 5/64 ring set. I have the 243 KB pistons. I called them and they said I can use the gapless 2nd ring set with these pistons. Total Seal said the same thing as long as I gap the top ring per KB . Would these be the best ring or are their better? These are expensive and I want to get my money's worth. Thanks for any info.

Fred B
gapless top ring only. conventional second ring. gap the top ring as per total seal specs, not KB.

gapless top ring only. conventional second ring. gap the top ring as per total seal specs, not KB.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I always thought this was a no, no as KB pistons get hotter on the top causing ring expansion. Or is that only the hypers?

You only use gapless on the top ring... that's the only real compression sealing ring. You set the end gaps of that ring at KB's spec or it will butt and break the piston. Hyper and forged both put a bit of heat into that top ring.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I always thought this was a no, no as KB pistons get hotter on the top causing ring expansion. Or is that only the hypers?
been there done that with top ring gapped to KB specs on a gapless ring. all 8 got nuked.
did as per total seal and things where fine.. mind you thats with my 12:1 engine.. so yah prolly AS PER KB specs on the top ring would be best.
sorry if i confugaled anybody.

Also with Total Seals the wall finish is very important. If it's not right (very smooth) they wont be any bettter than a std ring, and they may have some unique assembly procedures so read the paperwork.

-
Back