pistons

-

matrix845

Reaction score
I am building a street/strip 340 that will run n2o 150 200 shot
I have 2 sets of pistons 1 set is a flat top cast the other set is a hi dome forged set with dykes rings do you think the dykes rings will seal ok on the street? I also have both cast and forged cranks but need damper for forged
can the cast crank live with that much n2o?
any other suggestions? thanks
MOPAR OR NO CAR!!!!!!!! :twisted:

If it was me I would at least go forger pistons and have the domes cut to reduce the compression if it is to high. Cast cranks are iffy. A balancer is about $100 or so?

That's a lot of nitrous man, I'd be spending some money on a good set of Pistons (CP are my favorite) good rods and a forged crank. Making power isnt cheap, the more you make the more money you have to spend, it the way the horespower gods keep us in check. Cylinder head technology has brought us so far that lot's of horespower is easy, and to simply bolt on 200 HP of Nitrouse can easily overpower a weak bottom end. Don't be the dude who leave his stuff on the track, especially when you drive a par. If you don't want to go too expensive try out a kit from one of the many speedshops with a forged mopar crank,eagle H beam rods (stay away from the I Beams), and at least some Ross forged pistons. You can make tons of power with little effort, just be safe about it, don't spend money twice. Have fun and keep us all posted on your efforts.

Regards

the pistons are forgedtrue hidomes i will prob havethem fly cut to lower the
c.r. i have stock rods w arp bolts and the forged crank my biggest question
is about the dykes rings will they seal good enough on the street?
i may not even use the bottle if im happy with the engine

Not familur with Dykes rings, but what cylinder head are you using? With limited effort 340s can make 500HP which is pushing the envelope of the block unless you have a couple and dont mind trashing them. Then to slam on that kind of nitrous just wouldnt be a good idea. This is what you can try with stock crank and rods. If your looking at street strip look into a set of Eddy's (box stock) with a Victor or M-1, get those pistons to 11:1, either put in a Mopar .557 Mech or some cool custom Comp grind with a good 750 Holly HP and bam, you'll be happy! If you put that combo in a cool little A body with a good 904 with 3500 street converter 4:30 gears you'll bust out mid 11's all day long. Not too much money and great performance. Got to love Mopars!! No Nitrous required, and you'll have the ability to put the smack down on plenty of street cars:) Just some ideas, there are many many ways to skin a cat, this is just a known winner if you're going pretty basic. Of coarse I've very much oversimplified this, but in whole you don't have to go crazy with Small Block Mopars, they take very well to mild performance mods.
Good luck!

-
Back