pitman arm bending

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
1963 dodge dart. 360. one of the tie rod ends is barely contacting the tbar. (inner one on drivers side). Going back together with new tie rod ends/used sleeves. if it comes to this & it is looking like it will, how can I bend the pitman arm to lower the outer end of it down a bit? I'm assuming a torch is a no no. thank you for your time. RR

Use a torch just don't cool it. Let it air cool on its own so not to temper it.. We did this in the past but then the joint didn't have a plastic cup as the later parts do from china. Make sure you don't melt the plastic cup if you have a low priced version

I would use shims to raise the engine before I did all that.

Um how about putting it all together and getting an alinement before bending anything. And please don't bend the pitman arm.

SOMETHING is wrong; this is not normal.No parts should be anywhere near the Torsion bar. And they have a fixed relationship that cannot be , or should not be altered. Something is not in the factory correct spatial position.
IDK which part or parts are wrong, so IDK what the solution will be. I mean it may be the pitman arm. But until you get it sorted I highly recommend to not bend any parts.

Last edited:
I was thinking header tube and not torsion bar. My bad. I would guess maybe an incorrect pitman arm.

These replacement parts have all kinds of funky configurations to the outsides of them and some change the geometry slightly.

1963 dodge dart. 360. one of the tie rod ends is barely contacting the tbar. (inner one on drivers side). Going back together with new tie rod ends/used sleeves. if it comes to this & it is looking like it will, how can I bend the pitman arm to lower the outer end of it down a bit? I'm assuming a torch is a no no. thank you for your time. RR
If you can, throw some photos on here so we can see the parts.

good info! I must be missing something obvious as I had slotted the (manual) steering box so I could lower it some & raised the eng all so I could run magnum ex manifolds for much better flow. I will get on it & see if I can take a pic. thanks a bunch! RR

I flipped the center link around & problem solved, not sure what I was doing wrong but it is all good now thanks to you guys' help. thank you! RR

SAM_1244.JPG

SAM_1243.JPG

-
Back