Plastic Glovebox liner

-

Kendog 170

Let the boy go !
Reaction score
When I built my 68 Dart hardtop I installed a plastic glovebox liner I got from a pick and pull years ago. Now my Ragtop box is falling apart and I can't remember what year Abody I got it from. Anyone know ?

According to classic industries, 68-74 were cardboard.

If you can't find the plastic one, you might consider aluminum.

75/76. My ‘74 had a cardboard one. Shoot me a message, I have an extra plastic glovebox liner.

75/76. My ‘74 had a cardboard one. Shoot me a message, I have an extra plastic glovebox liner.
The '74 Valiant I parted out years ago had a plastic one, so maybe it was a mid-year '74 change?

When I built my 68 Dart hardtop I installed a plastic glovebox liner I got from a pick and pull years ago. Now my Ragtop box is falling apart and I can't remember what year Abody I got it from. Anyone know ?
I put one of those 75 and up plastic glovebox in my 67 Valiant. I had to do some trimming on it because the glovebox door would not completely close. Something else was the lower portion air gaps in a couple of places, nothing wow though.
Cardboard was crummy idea wasn't it.

Just went thru this with my 76 Duster, be warned there are two different plastic glove box liners depending on the year.
68-74 and 75-76.
I have a extra 68-74 if you need it.

So what year did plastic liners start ?
My 73 340 Dart Sport had a plastic liner.

So what year did plastic liners start ?
My 73 340 Dart Sport had a plastic liner.
I have a 73 also that has the plastic liner.
The extra liner I have decodes to 68-74, so I would say they started in 68.
I would also say it was part of an interior lighting group option, because of the light inside the glovebox.

I may be al set. He's going to send me a Pic. If it's the wrong one I will let you all know.
Thanks all

I have a 73 also that has the plastic liner.
The extra liner I have decodes to 68-74, so I would say they started in 68.
I would also say it was part of an interior lighting group option, because of the light inside the glovebox.

No plastic liners in 68. Or 69, 70, 71. all cardboard.

I believe it was in 73. Lots of subtle A-body changes in 73.

I think they changed to plastic mid 73 or 74. I have a 73 dart sport and it had cardboard.

The part number on the one I have, according to the numbers come up up 68-74

where did you look it up?

maybe later parts books have a superseded part number. But it’s not truly a bolt it. It’s more of a “it pretty much fits and you can mess with it to fit a little better”

The '74 Valiant I parted out years ago had a plastic one, so maybe it was a mid-year '74 change?

Nah. My '74 was built June 4th '74, so, pretty late in the production year (production ended mid-July most years). So it was not a mid-year change for '74. It would have been an option driven deal, although I'm not sure what the option would have been anymore or when it would have started, I'll explain.

So I have 5 of the things. Previously I thought they were all the same, but apparently I didn't look too closely because one of them is slightly different. And there are two different part numbers- #3590655, which must be for the later cars, and 3590298
IMG_0079.jpeg
IMG_0082.jpeg

The difference, from what I can tell anyway, is entirely on the bottom lip of the liner. Which makes sense. The earlier # has flat mounting tabs on the bottom, seen here

IMG_0084.jpeg

Later style with 90° tabs
IMG_0085.jpeg

side by side, later on the right
IMG_0083.jpeg

I say later, but I don't know when. My '71 Dart GT has an interior lighting package and factory AC, it has both a glove box light and a map light, and had what was left of a cardboard liner. My '74 Duster also had a cardboard liner, it was a non-AC car with no glovebox light. So, no idea when the plastic liners actually started.

Before I looked into it again today I thought the liners were all the same, and the later liners with the 90° angled tabs can be mounted in cars with the regular glovebox opening (ones that had cardboard liners). They DO require slight modifications to install in the non-plastic liner cars- but very minor. Basically you need to bend a couple of the tabs in the lip of the dash around the glovebox opening and add a couple clip on nuts. I went over the install with a bunch of pictures on my '74 Duster, which I modified, and my '71, which I did not modify. But the #3590298 box wouldn't require the lower tabs of the glovebox opening to be modified, it would fit stock.

Here's my previous info on installing them, keep in mind this info isn't 100% correct anymore because I didn't realize there was a factory plastic liner with flat lower tabs.

Plastic glove box liner

where did you look it up?

maybe later parts books have a superseded part number. But it’s not truly a bolt it. It’s more of a “it pretty much fits and you can mess with it to fit a little better”

So I'm not sure when the year break was or when they were introduced. But yeah, two different part #'s. The earlier part # would bolt right into the earlier cars without modification, the later part # requires a very minor modification linked above.

If I had to bet money, I would bet the "early" part number is actually for '73-'74? cars. They'd fit '68-'74 because those glove box openings are all the same. The later ones are maybe '75-'76? I know for sure that all of mine did not come out of '76 cars, because I know all the cars I pulled them from were not '76's. I know at least one was a '76, one was a '75, and the rest were likely '74/'75 because that's what I pulled from in the yards. I ran into at least one '73, but I couldn't tell you if that's where the earlier one came from either.

But I seriously doubt they started before '73. I would think they would have been tied to either AC or lighting options, and my '71 GT had both and still had a cardboard liner.

Last edited:
-
Back