Plastic interior pieces in early Barracudas

-

Bob Jasinski

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been putting off posting about this, but the time has come, the dreadful interior plastic pieces in the rear of the early Barracuda's
IMG_4944.JPG

Mine cracked when disassembled 10 years ago, and I put all the parts in the bag. Can these be repaired? has anybody reproduced them? How about laying in fiberglass and fixing the broken parts? Would it melt the plastic? Fortunately, my fronts are OK.

Laysons is working with a vendor to repop these pieces, but not available as of yet.I had a broken A pillar and used 2 part epoxy to repair. Xing my fingers so far. Your lucky to have the parts you have.

Tim

Start a wanted thread and see if anyone is scrapping out a car. You may be surprised.

They are always extremely brittle from being baked in the sun under the fish bow. Luckily I have a parts car was able to get a decent set between them. Hint take the window out before removing them. If you can wait for repops that's the route I would go

Its been 10 years since I took them out, and my car body is in the shop, so I've been studying photographs. I'm definitely going to put this off until I get the car back and assembly begins. Plenty for me to do before I need them, but if anybody hears of reproductions or other solutions, please post, thanks!

I sold a set on Ebay years ago and they bid up to 75 bucks just for the 2 back pieces. They are made of un-obtainium. Keep searching and you may find a set.

I've been putting off posting about this, but the time has come, the dreadful interior plastic pieces in the rear of the early Barracuda'sView attachment 1715508242
Mine cracked when disassembled 10 years ago, and I put all the parts in the bag. Can these be repaired? has anybody reproduced them? How about laying in fiberglass and fixing the broken parts? Would it melt the plastic? Fortunately, my fronts are OK.

I know what the 2 bigger pieces are on the bottom of the picture and am in the process of making a mold for that bigger piece. but what the heck are the 2 narrow pieces? and where do they go? anyone go a picture of them installed and out? I'd like to get a set that I can glue together to make molds from so I can re-produce those parts.

I know what the 2 bigger pieces are on the bottom of the picture and am in the process of making a mold for that bigger piece. but what the heck are the 2 narrow pieces? and where do they go? anyone go a picture of them installed and out? I'd like to get a set that I can glue together to make molds from so I can re-produce those parts.
Those 2 little pieces run vertical at the front of the window where it meets the sail panels.

Those 2 little pieces run vertical at the front of the window where it meets the sail panels.
wohoo, thanks, and do you have a picture of em ?
But what would I call them? so I can post a wanted ad . so I can make them danged things?

wohoo, thanks, and do you have a picture of em ?
But what would I call them? so I can post a wanted ad . so I can make them danged things?
Sorry no pic and not sure of the name. The top one in the op pic looks complete.

IMG_4992.JPG
IMG_4994.JPG
The rear pieces may be in the parts book but I couldn't find them. I'm thinking of repairing them by gluing the pieces together using .010 or .015 styrene as a backer, hobby shops carry it for model building. My front plastic pieces used on the windshield pillars (pictured) are not cracked but the holes blew out on several of them. I fixed them by using .020 styrene punched out with a punch set I bought at Harbor Freight. Superglued to the back of the holes, and then filled in with epoxy from the back to reinforce them. Once it was all cured I drilled and countersunk the holes, worked great. I used JB Weld Plastic Bonder from Home Depot, comes in a syringe.
IMG_4991.JPG

I sold several pairs of those 2 rear window trim pieces that go by the front of the glass...some here on FABO....almost every car here in MN has good ones (cooler climate), but haven’t looked for awhile now.

got the temporary molds laid up and hoping to get a test pull, before making a permanent mold and when I do the convertible outer rear panel side trim pieces I had to block it a bunch to straighten up the sides from heat damage and a little bit more to do. I do have a question though on the rear section that always breaks how far in is the hole shown in the bottom picture? I tried scaling it up a bit to match my part and came up with 3/4" inboard from the edge, does that sound/look correct?

012.jpg
013.jpg
014.jpg
n
IMG_4944.JPG

-
Back