Please Delete! Thanks for the help Guys!!

-

Jonnylightening

Reaction score
Ok so I'm dealing with a fellow member. I'm the seller hes the potential buyer. I posted a for sale Adonis here. I had a price marked. He offered less shipped. I accepted his offer. He sent money through paypal with buyer protection witch I'm fine with. My gripe is hes expecting me to cover the fee on top the shipping and less offer. Am I wrong to think the buyer pics up the fee? I was always under the assumption the buyer pays that??

Work that out before sealing the deal. Or put it in the Ad. It helps with the situation.

I ran into this recently with a seller and he refused to pay it. The deal was OK but almost close enough to just buy new with a CC and free shipping. I won't do a transaction with the protection.

Mileage will vary however that's mine...

JW

Work that out before sealing the deal. Or put it in the Ad. It helps with the situation.

I ran into this recently with a seller and he refused to pay it. The deal was OK but almost close enough to just buy new with a CC and free shipping. I won't do a transaction with the protection.

Mileage will vary however that's mine...

JW
I will know that for next time!

I always always always always offer to pay the fees. Always. anyone on here whose ever done business with me knows that. Sometimes it doesn't matter to the seller, sometimes it does. Regardless, I always offer. It's just not right otherwise, unless agreed upon in advance, IMO. Regardless of what the Paypal agreement says, I don't like to leave the seller hanging with anything.

I always always always always offer to pay the fees. Always. anyone on here whose ever done business with me knows that. Sometimes it doesn't matter to the seller, sometimes it does. Regardless, I always offer. It's just not right otherwise, unless agreed upon in advance, IMO. Regardless of what the Paypal agreement says, I don't like to leave the seller hanging with anything.
Understandable. I just always thought that Buyer protection was paid for by the Buyer? I'm not 100% against anyone trying to be safe. I just got screwed a few months back from a guy that sent half my purchase. Never got it or heard from him again. I sent via F&F like he requested...Now I always do the protection. I'm not here to start a war or be anyone's enemy. I've always thought it was on the buyer.

I the buyer ALWAYS volunteer to pay the fees. I absolutely refuse under any conditions to use the "friends and family" option in PayPal

I the buyer ALWAYS volunteer to pay the fees. I absolutely refuse under any conditions to use the "friends and family" option in PayPal
I agree, when I buy, I’ll add enough to to be protected. Now their are several members on here I send as F&F and have no fear at all.

as a buyer, which I was very recently, I send MY money through goods and services TO PAY FOR PROTECTION OF MY MONEY. if I send money and do not cover my own *** if the seller decides to rip me off , who's fault is it? it's mine , all mine. I don't care how much extra I have to pay. my payment is sent with the 3% included so he is not out any money. if the seller does NOT want me to buy his stuff that way , he was shady from the get go.

I don
I agree, when I buy, I’ll add enough to to be protected. Now their are several members on here I send as F&F and have no fear at all.

There's a few I will do it with as well......you're one.

I use the friends and family most of the time if it is less than about $50 and a car guy. I pretty much trust most car guys if they have been around awhile here or FB. I hate giving PayPal money.

The fee comes out of the seller’s end, that’s how it works. If you as a seller agree to take PayPal without specifying for the buyer to add 3% for a paypal sale, well, there’s no guarantee the buyer will cover them.

As a seller, your options are to include the 3% in your sale price right off the bat, or to offer other ways to take payment and specifically say if PayPal is used the buyer should add the 3%.

As a buyer, I look at the ad. If the seller is asking for money orders or “friends and family” payment then I add the 3% fee because I never use “friends and family” for purchases. Basically if they’re asking for a payment method that doesn’t have fees I pay the fees if I use PayPal because it’s a convenience for me. And if they say to add the 3% then I do.

If they ask specifically for a PayPal payment and don’t specifically say to add 3%, I assume they know how PayPal works and pay the asking (or agreed upon) price. If you’re the seller, you’re responsible for setting the terms of the deal. If you don’t, you can’t be surprised if it doesn’t go the way you expect. You’re the one responsible for the way you take payment and you should be familiar with how that works.

I'll say it again...if the seller is a complete stranger, and asks me to mark the payment as friends and family, I don't trust him

If hes willing to lie to his bank to save a few dollars, why wouldn't he try to screw me over too?

You guys need to look, paypal fees are almost 5%. Not 3%.
If someone doesn't trust me, they pay the 5%.

You guys need to look, paypal fees are almost 5%. Not 3%.
If someone doesn't trust me, they pay the 5%.

Yes they are. I tell buyers to include 4% but it is usually more.

It’s 2.9% +0.30 cents for US sales. International sales are 4.4% for those Canada sales.

Right off the PayPal website...
67E1B537-6E41-4B75-BC1F-E4532D614A7E.png

As a seller that does this for a living I pay the fees. I take PayPal because I don't take credit cards. I pay the same 2.9% with PP as I would if I took credit cards. Just a part of doing business. I have some buyers that pay via friends and family and some that add some extra to cover the fees but I never ask this of them.
If a seller wants the buyer to pay the fees that's fine as long as it is disclosed up front and not just expected.

Not going to argue with you. But it winds up being more. You and I will never have to be concerned with this.

Look it up. It “ends up being” 2.9% +$.30 per transaction.

I’m not gonna argue with you either, it’s right in the black and white and you’re clearly mistaken.

As a seller that does this for a living I pay the fees. I take PayPal because I don't take credit cards. I pay the same 2.9% with PP as I would if I took credit cards. Just a part of doing business. I have some buyers that pay via friends and family and some that add some extra to cover the fees but I never ask this of them.
If a seller wants the buyer to pay the fees that's fine as long as it is disclosed up front and not just expected.

Exactly!

The fee comes out of the seller’s end, that’s how it works. If you as a seller agree to take PayPal without specifying for the buyer to add 3% for a paypal sale, well, there’s no guarantee the buyer will cover them.

As a seller, your options are to include the 3% in your sale price right off the bat, or to offer other ways to take payment and specifically say if PayPal is used the buyer should add the 3%.

As a buyer, I look at the ad. If the seller is asking for money orders or “friends and family” payment then I add the 3% fee because I never use “friends and family” for purchases. Basically if they’re asking for a payment method that doesn’t have fees I pay the fees if I use PayPal because it’s a convenience for me. And if they say to add the 3% then I do.

If they ask specifically for a PayPal payment and don’t specifically say to add 3%, I assume they know how PayPal works and pay the asking (or agreed upon) price. If you’re the seller, you’re responsible for setting the terms of the deal. If you don’t, you can’t be surprised if it doesn’t go the way you expect. You’re the one responsible for the way you take payment and you should be familiar with how that works.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this IS HOW IT WORKS !!

i sell on here and i usually do not add the 3%. and i state it as such, no fees at this time. but i recently sold a big ticket item elsewhere and did add the 3% as it was a good chunk of doe. i have used ff once or twice and was nervous as hell. worked out ok though. there are some people that you can trust but not all. same way,to an extent on shipping. that is why i try to us usps flat rate box as everyone pretty well knows what to expect.

Yes the fee does come out of the seller's end which makes no sense to me since it's there to protect the buyer. Once the money is sent the buyer is the one in the hot seat so to speak. Seems to me the buyer should pay to be protected from a bad seller but what do I know. On here 99 percent of the time I send it FF because I'm a trustworthy person. If it's a more expensive item or something I feel I need to be protected on I will add three percent to cover the fees. But I do feel like that should be agreed on before the deal is set in stone. If it's a part I really need I'm not gonna back out because you as for 3 percent to cover your fee

-
Back