Please school me on this motor

-

HemiEd

Reaction score
Ok, so I am going to yank my "too radical" for this old fart, stroked 340 out of the 68 Barracuda. Please don't try and talk me out of it, it has been fun, but I am tired of it. It is going to become a very expensive garage ornament for a while, until I get a notion to put it back in.

I just want to put a simple little 318 in, that runs quiet and smooth that I can actually throw pump gas in, and go on a longer trip.

So anyway, I found a 89 TBI 318 with low miles that I agreed to buy out of a Dodge truck.

I plan on yanking the pan, and of course the TBI intake, maybe even the heads to make sure everything is kosher.

Can I just bolt my LD 340 on there? Does this motor have provisions for the old style motor mounts? I am correct in assuming it has the roller cam right?
I am sure it probably has a cast crank, so will the B&M flexplate, I bought for the 360 project work? Is the valve cover bolt pattern the old style?

Thanks for your help in advance!

LD will bolt up, but, the intake manifold ports will be larger than the head opening.

May have the mounts, I have a 89 360 block that has the early style ears, so a 318 would likely have them.

Should have a roller cam in it.

Flexplate won't work. the 318 should be an internally balanced engine. 360 is external unless a bunch of mallory was put in it.

Valve covers should work.

LD will bolt up, but, the intake manifold ports will be larger than the head opening.

May have the mounts, I have a 89 360 block that has the early style ears, so a 318 would likely have them.

Flexplate won't work. the 318 should be an internally balanced engine. 360 is external unless a bunch of mallory was put in it.

thanks very much, I should be able to use the 340 B&M balancer then correct?

If not, I have several stock ones.

I am sure glad I ended up taking this motor apart, and re-ringing it. It is obvious, that it truly was just a 58,000 mile motor, but it had been setting a very long time.

The rings on #4 cyl were totally stuck, and the top ring, was on a couple other cylinders. I reused the rod and main bearings, just honed the cylinder walls and put new rings in it. Spent a lot of time with the power washer and simple green on the block and parts Saturday. The internals had been soaking in my solvent tank for a few days, so everything is sparkling clean now.

Lots of carbon was going through the intake on this motor (emissions control) and the intake valves were so loaded with carbon, that it was probably only flowing about 50%, if that. No guide wear whatsoever, I just lapped the valves, cleaned them all up and put the heads back together. It has the real good swirl heads, and should really like the Edelbrock intake, carb and headers.

Got the short block put back together this morning, before work.

Ed, at the risk of sounding like a jerk, why didn't you just use a thicker gasket to drop the compresion and install a smaller cam in the stroker?

CB, he has a 340, not a 360, so ED, the balancer will work since both engine are internally balanced.

Ed, the 318 is a roller cam engine that can use a Hyd. if you wish. It has the regular old style engine mounts so it should not be a problem installing this engine.

He mentions a B&M 360 flexplate. Didn't see anything or answer re: Balancer.

ARUGH, bangs head on computer table...

I sit corrected! Thanks

Ed, at the risk of sounding like a jerk, why didn't you just use a thicker gasket to drop the compresion and install a smaller cam in the stroker?

CB, he has a 340, not a 360, so ED, the balancer will work since both engine are internally balanced.

Ed, the 318 is a roller cam engine that can use a Hyd. if you wish. It has the regular old style engine mounts so it should not be a problem installing this engine.

I want to get the stroker on the engine stand, and play with it. Take it all back apart, and massage it. Maybe buy some good heads etc. so when I am sick of the half the HP 318, I will be ready to throw it back in. Or I could change my mind tomorrow, just never know.

In the meantime, I am about done with this nice little 318. It has hydraulic roller, and is really a pretty nice piece that was put away poorly. I want to just be able to take my time on the 340 again, and enjoy the convertible in this short season up here.

Its all good, as my favorite part of this hobby is building the engines. In fact, I get kind of cranky when I am not working on one.
I was pleasantly surprised to find the snout was long enough on the cam, to put the fuel pump eccentric on it.
As far as the balancer, I am just going to use the stock one, and use my B&M flex plate for the 340.

Oh, one question on this 318. It has a pretty interesting, chamber design, almost closed. Is that the swirl port? It should have some pretty decent compression, as the pistions are true flat tops, with no valve reliefs or dish.

Its all good, as my favorite part of this hobby is building the engines. In fact, I get kind of cranky when I am not working on one

Danm, me too. I build'em and I aint got jack to putt'em in!

He mentions a B&M 360 flexplate. Didn't see anything or answer re: Balancer.

Yeah, I have both, a 340 and 360 B&M flexplate. I bought the 360 one, thinking I was going to build my 360, but found it needed punched 60, so I didn't bother.
In fact, I should probably go pick it up at the machine shop, before they discard it.

ARUGH, bangs head on computer table...

I sit corrected! Thanks
Heck, after rereading my post, the confusion was caused by me. I meant flexplate, not balancer.

Danm, me too. I build'em and I aint got jack to putt'em in!

Yeah, this is kind of fun, I hear ya.

I have gone full circle since starting this hobby. Started out restoring a Poly 318 in my 57 Fury, then racing a 340 in the drag car, blew it up, went Big Block. Built quite a few of those 383s and 440s, then got a Hemi Roadrunner, now back to small blocks.

It is so funny to see the progression of changes in the LA motor. Was working on the timing chain cover this morning, and the seal comes out the front, instead of the back like the earlier ones, even though the provisions to remove it from the back are still cast into it. LOL

LOL, yea, the lil'things. I'm dyin to get a new HEMI and see up close what's going on. Pictures in mags don't allways cut it the way I like it to be cut up for me. I wanna see and touch up close and in person. There a lil'weird looking considering for the past 20+ years of me getting into and tearing down engines, it's been a few sbc and lots of sb chryslers. You kind of get used to seeing a certain something after awhile. And then suddenly, theres this china wall that looks like the great pyramid in front of you, heads that practicaly meet and an intake with a "V" at the bottom. WTF!?!?!?! Ha ha ha ha

Did you put a roller cam in the 318?

LOL, yea, the lil'things. I'm dyin to get a new HEMI and see up close what's going on. Pictures in mags don't allways cut it the way I like it to be cut up for me. I wanna see and touch up close and in person. There a lil'weird looking considering for the past 20+ years of me getting into and tearing down engines, it's been a few sbc and lots of sb chryslers. You kind of get used to seeing a certain something after awhile. And then suddenly, theres this china wall that looks like the great pyramid in front of you, heads that practicaly meet and an intake with a "V" at the bottom. WTF!?!?!?! Ha ha ha ha
I agree, the new Hemi is so intriging. I don't have the $$$ to buy all the ignition stuff for one right now, and am kind of committed to the LA design by all the accessories. Headers, etc.
Bunch of guys on the Challengerz forum have torn into their new ones already. One owner has even blown one up, with a huffer. (cast pistons)

Are you thinking about picking one up?

Did you put a roller cam in the 318?

Yeah, that was the main reason I wanted to find the 89 to 92 motor, to get the hydraulic roller and keep the shaft rockers. (advice from this board) Just the stock one though, had to clean it up a little.

I think the advice good since you have everything else "LA" and god to go.

I'd like to get a new HEMI, but it is not in the cards.

I think the advice good since you have everything else "LA" and god to go.

I'd like to get a new HEMI, but it is not in the cards.

You never know, there are a lot of them on the road, and ending up in the wrecking yards. I have heard of guys picking them up for around $500.

Got the pan back on the motor this morning before work, the only extra car pan I had, was off a 65 273 and uses the old style end seals. Well made pan though. I ended up keeping that crank seal for the TC, in the freezer for 24 hours, and had to heat up the TC. Very tight fit, even after glass beading the cover.
Will be throwing the heads back on it tomorrow morning.

FYI, I do have a brand spankin new 318/340 pan I can not use that was sent to me by mistake. Food for thought

FYI, I do have a brand spankin new 318/340 pan I can not use that was sent to me by mistake. Food for thought

Thanks, when I get the other one out, I may find a new one to be needed, and will keep it in mind. But this one is done. I had it left over after putting the 340 in Dad's 65 Barracuda.

The more I look around my stuff, at my age I need to be getting rid of some stuff.

Thanks, when I get the other one out, I may find a new one to be needed, and will keep it in mind. But this one is done. I had it left over after putting the 340 in Dad's 65 Barracuda.

The more I look around my stuff, at my age I need to be getting rid of some stuff.

And we are not getting any younger. :sign10:

Problem with putting the stroker motor aside for later on is we be older yet.

This is my last hot rod motor I keep telling myself. Traveling is fun too and a car that gets 30 mpg makes traveling cheaper. I sometime regret even starting this 340 motor. The cost is not equaling the fun yet..maybe once its done in will but there is other stuff to buy it this world.

(sorry for the rant)

And we are not getting any younger. :sign10:

Problem with putting the stroker motor aside for later on is we be older yet.

This is my last hot rod motor I keep telling myself. Traveling is fun too and a car that gets 30 mpg makes traveling cheaper. I sometime regret even starting this 340 motor. The cost is not equaling the fun yet..maybe once its done in will but there is other stuff to buy it this world.

(sorry for the rant)

All true! 20 years ago, this motor would have been done and installed already. My wife even asked my why I was taking so long. But I am actually enjoying it, and being finicky about every little detail. Chasing all the threads, etc. takes time. This morning, I dropped a pushrod that instantly made a miraculous trip right to the bottom, so the oil pan had to come back off. Boy did I feel stupid.

In 1988, I got a crankshaft back from the machine shop at 1 P.M. on Saturday, and was at the racetrack that night making a pass at 7.

As far as the stroker motor, this little 318 is going to tell me what the next step is. If I like the smoothness and trouble free operation, I just may leave it in there and sell the stroker. But if I miss the power too much, it may not be out very long. :-D

I have read a couple posts on this board, referencing some grinding needed, for the TTI headers to work. Darn if I can see where it is needed, can someone clear that up please?

I have the 302 heads.

Yanked the stroker 340 out on Saturday, and put the 318 in yesterday. Wow, this little motor runs sweet. Starts instantly, you could stand a quarter on edge, as it runs so smooth. (NOS electronic distributor with vacuum advance as opposed to the race distributor)

The difference in power is very dramatic, but I am happy with the change so far. I drove it to work today.

My wife tells me I am getting really slow, it took me more than twice as long as used to. It is just getting hard to get down on the creeper, and get back up.

22 years ago, I got the crank for my 383 back at 1 on Saturday, and was at the drag strip at 7, now it took me that long just to pull a motor, with much better equipment.

(I had a cable puller hooked to a cross beam in the attic of the garage then, now I have a hoist.)

-
Back