Plug Wires

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
I was wondering if there would be any noticeable gain from switching from my stock 7mm suppression core plug wires to some 8mm performance wires.
I'm using a FBO box with the matching coil and looking for a little more performance.

Any type of plug wires degrade over time and can eventually "leak". Heat, fuel, oil, humidity, etc. affect everything - including radiator hoses, belts, etc. Thicker wires tend to have more insulation and should last longer. I've been using Accel 8.8 plug wires for years with a Mallory HyFire VI system on my race car with great results. But they have a wide variety to choose from. The Summit filter can show what available for your application.

Since you hopped up your ignition system,you might as well finish it off with a nice set of wires. I like the MSD 8.5 Super Conductor wires....#31303 (small block).
Cheers.

I measured the ohms resistance of a couple of wires and the shortest one at 23 inches measured 9,700 ohms and the longest at 28 inches measured 12,300 ohms. From what I've read that is in the normal range.
Should I just go for the lowest resistance wire, I don't have any electronics that they would interfere with. Or would that be overkill for a street driven car?

..standard wires in good shape are fine,and will fit stock wire
brackets properly.

Unless you are running points ignition and no radio, solid core wires can cause noise. Low resistance is available in suppression wires - that's not a problem these days.
Here's some measurements of different brands of wire. I have a few more to add one of these days.
http://www.heritech.org/cuda/ignite.html

Will wires boost performance? Probably not unless as stated above, things are deteriorated.

-
Back