Pneumatic Belt File Sander - Which One?

-

PROSTOCKTOM

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Thinking I need one of these, but not sure what to buy.

At the moment all I need it for is touching up some fiberglass where nothing I have can reach in the proper orientation.

What's your take on them?

Thanks,
Tom

1728534753275.png

Tom, @67Dart440GT is a professional body man by trade and I know that's one of his favorite tools. I tagged him so maybe he will chime in. Colin, you out there?

My brother is a body tech as well and swears by the one at harbor freight. He said it's well worth the money for an everyday tool so I bought one. It works well. It's the 1/2" x 18" Baxter.

The belts from harbor freight don't last that long. He uses the 3m cubritron 2 belts.

Carl

Last edited:
Have a couple work great for harder to reach areas and for smaller intricate locations. I seen some videos they use them to grind out spot welds as well haven’t tried that yet.

Really great for spot welds and dressing up welds, have one from Snap-On and one from harbor freight. Hardley any difference in performance

I bought one from Princess Auto(Cdn Harbour Freight), actually bought 2 of them for grinding welds down on the 69. Worked great. If it's an "oddball" make, make sure to get a mittful of belts while you can. I've since sold the 69 a few years back and still use it occasionally. Worth the $30 I paid. Get it. Only complaint/***** is that it is actually loud/annoying.

Last edited:
I have the corded electrical one from Eastwood. It works well and is very handy for a lot of stuff that is hard to reach with a disc. The Eastwood and HF belts are crap and don't last. I wouldn't say this one is that great from a quality build standpoint but it was cheap enough that I put up with it.

3m makes a good product. They make two sizes if I remember right... 9 inch and 13 inch? I have the 13 inch yea I said it. Works good for cutting spot welds, grinding and finishing your welds or just sanding an area. They also make special belts for grinding away seam sealer.... great tool and worth the money. My jobber always has them on special. 3m has a promotion right now that if you buy a select amount of certain products you can get one free.... I chose a new 3m polisher and bought 7 cases of pps liners haha!

20240917_131830.jpg

I have a Wen that works ok. Slips a little sometimes. Use it for porting intakes. Works great for hard to reach places .

I bought a used Dynabrade belt sander, very well-made. I bought it at a pawn store, too expensive to buy new.

I ordered an electric Wen off Amazon a few days ago because I needed a cheap one quick for sanding fiberglass on the inside of a hood scoop I am reconfiguring.

The scoop originally only had a 2-1/4" vertical height opening and I thought it would be much nicer with 3-1/4" height.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072Q2FTLY?tag=fabo03-20

Still plan to buy a quality pneumatic unit, but I don't mind getting fiberglass dust all over a $36 tool.

Tom

20240923_002439.jpg

20240923_004152.jpg

20240923_010929.jpg

Tried the $36 WEN out last night and it took care of what I needed done with ease. Two of my friends both bought one today. LOL

Tom

Last edited:
I bought one off of the Cornwell truck last summer and haven't taken It out of the box

-
Back