Polishing a crank?

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
In the past I have always gone all the way when rebuilding a motor and sent the crank out with the block for machine work but with the slant for the 66 I am doing the bare minimum. I have a set of standard main and rod bearings coming and I just wanted to clean up the crank. So what would you use for a quick clean up if you were doing it yourself?

There are no grooves in the crank the only thing wrong with the bearings was 114,470 miles and a few were starting to wear out. The car also sat for 4 years and these were the worst ones.
100_4951.jpg

100_4949.jpg

The nastiness on the old bearings is probably from acids in the oil. Mmmmm. You could probably get away with 600-grit wet/dry paper and some ATF. I'd suggest something to back the sandpaper (a leather belt that needs to suffer your wrath, etc) to keep the pressure fairly even. That should give a reasonable surface finish. If not, follow that with some psychotic-grit (1600 or something) paper.

Also: beer

I do it just using something around 600 grit. some people wrap it around the journals then use some string around that to spin the paper. I just get a long strip and work my way around keeping about the same number each time.

I bought a 600 grit belt from a machine shop. He tried to just give it to me, I threw a five at him and thanked him.

-
Back