Polishing glass

-

oldkimmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My truck needs the drivers side window cleaned up as it has streaks from going up and down. Will rubbing compound work? I’ve cleaned up headlights with it. Or what does the FABO experts advise. Thanks. Kim

It depends on what type of marks they are, if they are scratches from missing felts, they may not come out.....& anything that can remove scratches can leave a mess of fine swirls that look as bad or worse.
The Pre-owned Toyota sales manager I've known since the mid '80's when He was a young-buck, said they had a couple of services attempt to polish out scratches in an expensive to replace piece of glass, and made a mess trying. So, Jeff said no more of that, if scratches are a deal breaker...the replacement comes out of the appraisal value right there.
I have a rear side-glass for a '63-'64 Impala Cpe that is in decent shape, but has some odd surface staining, I worked for multiple hours using compounds & fluids & only diminished it by ~1/2. Just My experience.

Screenshot_20241002-124256_Gallery.jpg

For very light scratches and water stain removal. Takes a lot of work to make fine scratches less noticeably.

Any scratch you can catch with your finger nail > forget it.

Vinegar works well for cleaning water spots from windows, makes them look like new. Might help to clean out whatever scratches are there so they don't look so bad. Might even follow up with an application of Rain-X to help wax them out.

☆☆☆☆☆

Have used the compounds, takes forever, slow progress.

I’ve looked into this before. Scratches aren’t likely coming out. New glass
Shouldn’t be too expensive depending on year model new/used. I have some 3000 grit liquid polish I use to clean glass if a razor doesn’t do it.

View attachment 1716310691

For very light scratches and water stain removal. Takes a lot of work to make fine scratches less noticeably.

Any scratch you can catch with your finger nail > forget it.

Vinegar works well for cleaning water spots from windows, makes them look like new. Might help to clean out whatever scratches are there so they don't look so bad. Might even follow up with an application of Rain-X to help wax them out.

☆☆☆☆☆

Have used the compounds, takes forever, slow progress.
Thanks Buddy!

-
Back