Poor Little Cone Style

-
I don't mind a spirited debate. I don't even mind those who argued against my theory of operation. But I didn't post this to try and help people and then get damn crucified for it. People contacting so called "experts" to come on here and try to discredit what I have done. You won't see me do another how to thread on here.

C'mon ya big lug. I have heard you say this a few times in other threads. I always look forward to the end of your cooling off period because then you will post some more of your experience or knowledge which in turn will initiate a spirited discussion. During that discussion I will often learn something new or be reminded of something that I have forgotten. The topics you choose to initiate discussion on are more interesting than the boring "no it isn't, yes it is" debates such as the 340 is better than the 360.

I believe it is against your very nature as a person to not help others.

So, thank you for posting this thread. I look forward to your next one.

Art

funny this came up......I ran into a buddy of mine with a 78 plow truck, who replaced his 9 1/4 unit with a new clutch type posi for about 400.00 his cost. He said he would pick one up for me if I wanted one. I priced a cone type from Dodge back in the 90's at about 1200.00, so I ended up machining the tapers to remove the galling on the cone and machining the end to provide clearance.

I always wanted to replace it and these new clutch type were affordable but I wondered if they were as good....thanks for the info

Supershaft, that is a torque differentiating trans-axle. It has servos which modulate clutch drag to planetary gear sets which modify the output ratios.

And the "torque sensing" in a clutch or cone type occurs when the rotational force of the carrier applies pressure against the spider gears via the spider gear pin from force generated by the rotation of the ring gear on the carrier. The torque sensing is not monitored and has no feedback mechanism other than the resistance of the inertia of the vehicle and the differential rotational speed of each axle.

The spider gears attempt to ramp up (separate) or leave engagment from the gears on the cone or the clutch face. This causes lateral opposing force linear to the axles outward. This causes high force applied to the cone or clutch to the left and to the right which compresses them between the carrier and the cone or clutch plates which are engaged to the axle which causes increased unison between the carrier and the two axles. Hence when energy is applied, the sure grip applies increased force to the posi traction process. It is brilliantly crude and effective.

There is no torque sensing, sensing means something is sensing something and then it would/will react to what it sensed....

NOTHING was sensed, it is a simple preload set force and there is NO RAMPING in a cone style AT ALL, there is no other added force to the cones other than what is set when assembling.
The zf unit i pictured senses, and makes adjustments for what it senses.
Using torque sensing on anything other than the zf is a play on words and it is working.

-
Back