Post Office strikes again

-

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
I don't know when they did it, but the large flat rate box got smaller. I used up the boxes I had on hand, and got some more this week at the post office. Went to ship out a part, and found it wouldn't fit. I found one more old box, and compared the size. Old 12x12x8. New 12x12x5 1/2. Can't ship 904 converters in a flat rate box, any more. Wonder if they changed the size of the game board box. If they made that smaller, no more shipping intakes at flat rate.

Too many postal workers off work for hernia surgery. The longer we push the limits the sooner changes are made. I'm surprised they don't have a 5 # limit on most of those boxes. Size matters but so does weight.

They changed some of the sizes around mid last year & eliminated some of odd ball ones completely.

I think the weight limit for USPS flat rate boxes is/was 70 Lbs.

The old box was 1152 cu in
The new box is only 792 cu in
But no change in price. That is one hell of a hidden price increase.
Looks like the post office is taking a clue from the grocery industry. Don't change the price, change the package.

Still, the Post Office and the flat rate boxes are often a better price than other shipping companies. Not always...but often.

I wouldn't expect a lady postal delivery to deliver a 120 lb or so box if she couldn't carry it. There has to be some sort of limit to protect the mail carrier, not just to make money.

If you can’t carry 30 pounds you need another job. The post office workers here move so slow you mark the floor with chalk to see if they’re moving.

I remember shipping lead bricks in those things in about 2010. I'm shocked they let us get away with that.

I can't believe any flat rate box would hold up to a converter's weight. I know they say 70 lbs, but dang. I sent some brake parts and the box was torn to hell when it got there.

I can't say enough good things about my local post office. The three workers at the desk have been there forever and know some of the popular shippers like myself by name and what we send out. The only time I go to UPS is to send a larger very heavy package. Otherwise you can't beat the post office prices. I"ve shipped over 300 items since Sept. without any issues whatsoever. And the post office isn't profitable because they're forced to fund their pension systems 10 years in advance, so they would be much closer to break even if not in the black very often. I'm also ok knowing the folks who have helped me for over 20 years can feed their family and expect some small pension to survive, not get rich in retirement. They are not a profit business and we should be thankful they are not. no dog in the fight, just my personal experiences.

Yah, remember when flat rate was a pretty good deal - the boxes are smaller, and they don't have any that aren't really short in on direction (that is more flat the cube shaped, so hard to ship anything taller than a few inches). Must be they're optimizing how they pack them in the big trucks

From what I understand they’re back to the pony express again. Some of my mail just came in 2 months late. The mail in votes was too much for them.

You can give this jackass partial credit......

78A73348-D84E-4B9C-8109-95C66EC9BAED_1_201_a.jpeg

A member here shipped me a part. It moved for a few days. Now It isn’t moved since feb 3rd

The boxes got smaller several years ago. Small flat rate box has not changed for a long time, not sure about the other sizes. One thing that did change with in the past couple years is the cardboard is now about half as thick. The boxes are VERY flimsy now. Those game board boxes are junk. Just slightly thicker than a sheet of paper.
I remember when they started printing priority on the inside of the boxes. Used to be able to turn them inside out and use them for Fedex, UPS or parcel post shipping.

Who’s that
The recently appointed postmaster general. When interviewed late last year, he didn't know how much a post card stamp cost.
He also made sweeping changes in the way the mail is distributed that have caused major delays....

There is a priority mail box that is 12x12x8, never seen a flat rate that size. I've used lots of large flat rate boxes and they were always the 6"ish tall variety.

Put some 904 converters in the 6" tall boxes. Tight fit and you best pad the snout!

A member here shipped me a part. It moved for a few days. Now It isn’t moved since feb 3rd

I ordered a new rack and pinion , the ups bypassed tulsa from lenexa , kan. , and sent it to new mexico , now they`ll have to ship it back . Must be some real hi I.Q. people up in lenexa !!

Yeah USPS has definitely taken a turn for the worse. I’ve had two or three packages over the last couple of years go from the lower 48 to Hawaii and then back to me here in Alaska. It made absolutely no sense whatsoever but that’s what they did.

-
Back