Powder coated exhaust manifolds

-

duelingcudas

Reaction score
Could someone tell me the original color of the exhaust manifolds on the 1965 273 in the Barracudas? Mine are currently colored 70 year old rust and I would like to powder coat them to something closeer to the original color.

Thanks all.
By "powder coating" I meant generic. I know the owner of a company that does coatings for everything from house railings to dragster headers. I am sure he will direct me to the correct product. I am just looking for the correct color.

Last edited:
I think rust is the original color, powder coat wont last but maybe some ceramic coating will. I have used VHT cast iron manifold paint but it turns kind of a gold color after a while.

VHT paint is the way to go. You cure it at 500 degrees in your wife's oven when she is not at home, It's there to stay. I like the color that looks galvanized.

BBQ paint works well as does VHT Ceramicoat, but you MUST cure it right after you spray it, like RichB says: do it in an oven or even in a covered BBQ. If you dont cure the VHT paint, it comes off on your hands.

A friend of a friend did high temp. power coating on oil field equipment. I was able to get mine done in raw cast color. That was 5 years ago and they still look like they were just cast.

The original color of exhaust manifolds when they left the factory was engine color. The manifolds were installed onto the engines before they were painted.
8351239-1967-318-n-904LynchRdassemblyline[1].jpg

The original color of exhaust manifolds when they left the factory was engine color. The manifolds were installed onto the engines before they were painted.
View attachment 1715477240

looks like the converter was bolted to the crankshaft and the trans slid on to it.

Also check out the special tool swivel thing, a piece of pipe with 2 caps. I don't think OSHA would approve today.

Yes, the converter was also attached to the engine before it was painted. You can see the tool they used to line up the pump lugs so the converter snout would slide right in.

You can have them ceramic coated in a flat grey "cast iron" finish. That's about the closest you'll get to the original color without all the rust.

looks like the converter was bolted to the crankshaft and the trans slid on to it.
you can do that if the trans can go straight on and the tangs are aligned. Not a luxury when your under it.

-
Back