Power/Manual convertible top differences?

-

sporty88

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a Valiant convertible, and want to confirm some information about the differences between power and manual top cars.

My understanding (gathered from various information found on the net) is that cars originally supplied with a power top should have additional brackets on the bodyshell for the top rams and motor, which a manual top car may not have, and that the top frame of a manual top does not have provision to mount the top rams. This would make it difficult to convert a car originally supplied with a manual top to a power top.

I also understand that there are differences between 1963-64 and 1965-66 tops, particularly at the rear.

Can somebody who has more experience with these cars confirm if my understanding is correct.

It’s easy, really. I did this conversion over 30 years ago!

The only difference between the manual and power top mechanism is the bracket the cylinders bolt to. It has extra metal that juts out, with a hole to accommodate the bolt that goes through the eye of the power top cylinder. Just unbolt the manual bracket and bolt on the power bracket.

The other end of the cylinders bolt to brackets on the floor. Cut out the brackets and arc weld them to the floor of your car.

The pump bolts to a shelf welded to the cross bar behind the seat. Just cut out and weld (or bolt, which is what I did) to your cross bar.

Don’t forget the switch and wiring.

The only difference between the 63-64 and 65-66 tops is the presence of a wire (or cable) that runs front to back, on the bottom of each side of the top. It does not extend down the side of the “C” pillar. The purpose, I suspect, is to keep the fabric from shrinking so far that the side windows tops are exposed to the elements.

By the time the sides shrink that far, however, the top probably needs replacement.

A goal never attempted: installation of the 67-69 glass rear window into the 63 top.

Hope this helps.

–Walt Jackson

Hi Walt,

Thanks for the info. The main problem with going that way for me is that there is a heck of a lot of ocean between me and the nearest convertible parts car (we only got sedans and wagons over here in Oz).

Thankfully, I haven't bought one yet, so I guess I can wait for the right car to come along. Unless of course somebody out there knows of reproduction brackets, or has measurements that could be used to fabricate them.

I'm questioning why a power top was available on models that didn't have power windows. If you have to walk around the car and roll the windows, deal with boot/cover snaps, may as well manhandle the top too. I know the top is a bit more labor but one thing is for sure, you would move a power top by hand if the power should fail.

Good question RedFish. I'd blame the bean counters. They probably thought it would cost too much to develop power windows for what was supposed to be an economy car.

It doesn't matter much today, given the availability of aftermarket power window kits it is pretty easy to fix that.

>I'm questioning why a power top was available on models that didn't have power windows.<

No compact car sold in America during that era had power windows or door locks. Such accessories were rare on the midsize cars and optional on the full size and luxury cars.

That didn't change until the late '70s and early '80s.

--Walt Jackson

p.s. I'm sure one of the yards here in the USA would be delighted to provide the necessary parts for a power conversion for the right price! vbg

-
Back