Power steering belt

-
Reaction score
I have a 70 Dodge Dart Swinger with 225 Slant 6. Fairly new owner and doing some repairs. Changing all 3 belts (has a/c and power steering). I cant figure out how to adjust tension on power steering pump and pulley to get new belt on. I have read to adjust this bracket (see picture) which I did but still cant move power steering pump. Also have been told to look for a square bolt to adjust tension but cant find that. Help with pictures would be great and appreciated

IMG_1936.jpeg

I could be wrong but looking at your picture it appears that the bracket is wedge tight against the spacer. Maybe a little prying with a flat screwdriver you could give that spacer some breathing room and add some nut buster in and around that bolt and spacer.

Last edited:
There are two bolts you need to loosen. One is the hinge bolt (the one circled) and one is the adjustment (cinch) bolt, which is down lower. There actually might be two....one on each side of the block bracket. There's not a lot of movement on that particular design, but, there should be enough to get the correct belt on. Just don't pry on the reservoir. That's a sure way to get a leak. Once it's loose, I just use my hand to move the pump and apply tension to the belt.

-
Back