Power tailgate override

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
So the previous owner of this car told me about some electrical connectors under the car. When I connected my power probe to the connectors, the motor seems to be dead.

How do I override it to get the window down manually ??

20200628_173138.jpg

20200628_173146.jpg

20200628_173155.jpg

After checking the wires as Mr. Sinister said, if they look okay, use a battery or a small battery charger to lower the window. Negative to a good body ground on the tailgate, and use the positive lead to probe the two wires at the connector. One is "up", the other is "down". It wouldn't hurt to clean and lube up the window track a bit while you're inside there checking the wires, too- it's probably pretty crusty after 50 plus years.

It should have a switch on the dash to make the window go up and down also. If it does, trace those wires back to the fuse box and see if you may have a blown fuse. I had a 64 Belvedere wagon with a power tailgate window. The dash switch operated it, and the ignition key into the outside bezel worked it from back there. I have a spare power tailgate off of an early B body laying around. I don't know if the motor works, or if they are even the same....but it's yours if you need it.

Diagram is page 308 of the 66 Plymouth manual. Guys above are correct. 2 hots to the motor, 1 up, 1 down, and ground.

i think the OP is saying the motor is burnt out. How do you lower the window with a toasted motor is the question

You should be able to remove the access panel on the inside-side of the tailgate, even with the tailgate up. Here's a picture of the regulator, but I don't remember if this side is showing when you open up that panel. If it is, you should be able to either remove the 5 bolts that hold on the cover for the gearbox, or 2 bolts that hold the motor, and figure out some way to turn the shaft. Or maybe remove the big spring and lower it by pushing as long as you have some way to keep it from falling down.

regulator-smaller.jpg

-
Back