Power to Manual Steering Clarifications Needed

-

RichardR

Reaction score
Hi,
So I'm considering a Gen 3 hemi swap, which requires a manual steering box, I have the power one. Not a big deal for me. I know there are 2 sizes of output shafts on the steering gear, switching in 73.
I have a 71 scamp with power steering.
My pitman arm, according to Moog (MOOG Suspension part numbers for Mopars) is the same for power steering and manual steering.
My questions are:
1) is my pitman arm the small style on my power steering? I thought power steering had a larger output shaft?
2) if it is larger style, can it be used on a 73+ manual steering gear?
3)what is the difference between the center links of a 73+ car that makes it a requirement to swap it if I use a 73+ manual steering box?I know pitman arms flip flop which side the nut is on.

I have the opportunity to get a manual steering gear for super cheap, but don't want to go with it if I'm spending money on a bunch of other steering components.

All of the A/B/E body manual boxes use the same sector shaft diameter (except C bodies and vans). They did not change in ‘73, that was only the power steering box. The pre-73 power steering boxes used the same sector shaft diameter as the manual boxes, they’re the “small sector” boxes. A small sector power steering pitman arm fits a manual box just fine, the year of the manual box doesn’t matter.

More info here

Steering Box Info

Ah. So the manual steering boxes in the pictures found on that page are A/B/E body vs. Vans/C body?

I think the power steering output size got confused with the manual box for me. What size of nut should be found on the manual steering output?

IIRC the nut should be 1-1/8” for the small sector and 1-5/16” for thr large sector.

So all the A/B/E manual boxes should be 1-1/8”.

I found a manual box from a 73 challenger that was removed for power steering. Output shaft is 1 1/8. $20. I'm going to pick it up I think :)

Yup, that would work just fine. And thats a great price if it's in decent condition.

Hi,
So I'm considering a Gen 3 hemi swap, which requires a manual steering box, I have the power one. Not a big deal for me. I know there are 2 sizes of output shafts on the steering gear, switching in 73.
I have a 71 scamp with power steering.
My pitman arm, according to Moog (MOOG Suspension part numbers for Mopars) is the same for power steering and manual steering.
My questions are:
1) is my pitman arm the small style on my power steering? I thought power steering had a larger output shaft?
2) if it is larger style, can it be used on a 73+ manual steering gear?
3)what is the difference between the center links of a 73+ car that makes it a requirement to swap it if I use a 73+ manual steering box?I know pitman arms flip flop which side the nut is on.

I have the opportunity to get a manual steering gear for super cheap, but don't want to go with it if I'm spending money on a bunch of other steering components.

Why not get TTI headers and have real steering? Why would you go through the trouble to update the motor only to go backwards with the steering?
I've sold several sets with my steering kits with sucess.

Why not get TTI headers and have real steering? Why would you go through the trouble to update the motor only to go backwards with the steering?
I've sold several sets with my steering kits with sucess.
Are you indicating you have a steering kit that permits me to keep the OEM power steering box on. Y V8 K member while doing a 5.7 Heminswap?

-
Back