Power Valve Saver

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I think I have a problem with my power valve so I'm going in after it. As I posted already I'm not too pleased with ripping into my NEW six pack carbs as it is. I have a few questions:

1) Why did this valve go bad (if it indeed IS bad) when these are new carbs with hardly any miles on them... The car did sit for almost a year waiting for the new motor. Do these things dry rot from lack of use? I don't remember back-firing, which I hear is death for a power valve.Is there a way to test them?

2) Is this "power valve saver" kit worth looking into and will it fit the 2 bbl. on my set-up? I'm not looking forward to making this a routine maintenence project changing these valves if they're so delicate.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=7926587557&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

3)Why is Brett's avatar so intoxicating? It draws me like a moth to a light bulb.... My wife finds me staring at it all too often. She's getting annoyed.

4)And finally, am I the only one whom is being tortured building their car?

Thanks gang :thumrigh:

BTT.... I need some help guys. Anybody? Or am I at the mercy of Holley's tech line?

FASTBACK340 said:
4)And finally, am I the only one whom is being tortured building their car?

No. Go back and look at pretty much ANYTHING I post relating to my car... You'll see that I live in a perpetual state of vehicle hell. Much like yourself, I guess!

As for your power valve problems... Have you had any backfires? That can waste a power valve pretty quickly.

John, I don't know anything about the six pack set-up but as for
questions :
3. I find myself doing the same thing, and also get caught by
my wife. Luckely she just laughs. Such muscle control.
4. We all are going through this. I'm going to the track today to T & T
because when I Set up the MSD ignition it went from leaving 3' of rubber to leaving 40-45' of rubber.
When you feel the pain of all this revert to #3 and drift away :p

MIKEL:
No, I don't recall any back-firing. Although how else can you explain the sudden sky-high idle? Or do you think I developed an intake leak? I'm reluctant to spray carb cleaner on my fresh engine :shock:

TONY:
Brett's avatar is like a fishing hook.... grabs me every time. As for the MSD, I can honestly say my car sounded like it gained about 50 HP the way she idled and responed when the throttle was cracked open. What your saying about your own installation is encouraging.

If I feel any better tomorrow I *might* go pull it apart. :?

John to add to it, my mechanic just called and cancelled. Death in the family. My car is on the trailer hooked up to my truck with all my tools
in the parking lot at work. was going to leave straight from work.
AAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhh. :cry: :cry: :cry: .
Your not alone in your frustration.
I have to pull up that avitar QUICK :lol:

onehellofadart said:

HINT: Try to advoid using the word " PULL" when refering to Brett's avatar.People might get the wrong idea..... :evil4:

Sorry to hear about the cancellation. My condolences to your buddy. :cry:

FASTBACK340 said:
onehellofadart said:

HINT: Try to advoid using the word " PULL" when refering to Brett's avatar.People might get the wrong idea..... :evil4:

Sorry to hear about the cancellation. My condolences to your buddy. :cry:

:downtown:

:D

If you don't want to use carb cleaner, try a spray bottle with water. The results will be the same since you're just listening for a change in rpm when you spray. Just set the sprayer so its more of a stream.

Could it be that you've got the wrong power valve installed, so it opens up at idle? Did it ever work right? There's info on the holley site that explains how to figure out what PV you need.

For checking vac leaks, I always used starting fluid. Water as mentioned earlier seems A LOT safer though.

Yes, count me in among the tortured ... my GTX breaks down about every other week. It's so consistent that I haven't had to time even pull the cover off my Dart, or do anything toward getting the engine in my Duster. :(

a backfire will blow the powervalve most of the time. it ruptures the rubber diapragm and allows fuel to pour in right out of the bowl. my experiance has been that the motor wont idle because its flooding but will keep running if you open up the throttle to let more air in. i havent seen the pv protector but have heard its a simple easy install, but involves drilling a small port into the bottom of the throttle plate.

I installed that kit in both sides of my Holley 850DP
with no further PV problems. But I still keep my fingers crossed.

-
Back