Prep for Vinyl Top

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
The car has been painted and clear coated (finished almost a year ago). I am adding a vinyl top this weekend. What's the best way to prep? I am thinking just a acuff with grey scotch brite to dull up the clear.

I am going to use DAP Weldwood Landau top glue.

I would sand with a little more than a scuff pad. I hit mine with 220 to knock all the shine off the clear. Stay away from the edges other than a light pass.

20190601_211710.jpg

20190609_013833.jpg

There are a ton of videos on youtube showing vinyl top install. Some are garbage but there are a couple really good ones. Watch as many as you can and you will get the idea. There was one video with a couple mexican guys who were really good. You could tell they had done it a hundred times before.
I installed mine by myself, first one I ever did. I recommend having a helper if possible. If it werent for the strip of vinyl that goes under the rear window on the dart, they whole install would have been a breeze. That strip makes it a real pain. What car you working on?
BTW, that weldwood glue is what most recommend and its what I used. Sprays real nice in a schutz gun and surprisingly does not string all over the place.

There are a ton of videos on youtube showing vinyl top install. Some are garbage but there are a couple really good ones. Watch as many as you can and you will get the idea. There was one video with a couple mexican guys who were really good. You could tell they had done it a hundred times before.
I installed mine by myself, first one I ever did. I recommend having a helper if possible. If it werent for the strip of vinyl that goes under the rear window on the dart, they whole install would have been a breeze. That strip makes it a real pain. What car you working on?
BTW, that weldwood glue is what most recommend and its what I used. Sprays real nice in a schutz gun and surprisingly does not string all over the place.

Thanks, working on a 70 dart. My dad is going to help, he has done two before. I'm gonna scuff it and tape where the trim goes on Friday, so we'll be ready to go first thing Saturday.

Ok, all done. It wasn't bad at all, except the sail panels, that was a two person spot for sure. I still have a little trimming to do, but need to buff the trim first.

Now what's the best compound to keep this baby looking nice?

IMG_20200926_102011736.jpg

IMG_20200926_102018611.jpg

IMG_20200926_122426893_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200926_122433407.jpg

IMG_20200926_122439081.jpg

IMG_20200926_135402226_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200926_135435273_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200926_135442606_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200926_135448700_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200926_135453190_HDR.jpg

Yeah its not as bad as people think it is. The sail panel area gave me trouble along with the strip below the back window. Other than that it was a breeze to install. Did you get the seams nice and straight / centered?
Seriously, I think the swinger vinyl top has to be one of the hardest to install due to the strip under the back window. It makes alignment much more critical.

I think there is a lot of difference in the 3M auto glue in aerosol and the stuff my upholstry guy used he sprayed out of his siphon gun!!!! Wish I still had an upholstry guy !!!!!!

Yeah its not as bad as people think it is. The sail panel area gave me trouble along with the strip below the back window. Other than that it was a breeze to install. Did you get the seams nice and straight / centered?
Seriously, I think the swinger vinyl top has to be one of the hardest to install due to the strip under the back window. It makes alignment much more critical.

Yes we measured from the seam to the gutter on both sides amd front to back. Then clamped it half way and worked it half at a time.

-
Back