primer

-

mopar4

Reaction score
What is the best primer to use under a base coat system. The car still has most of its original paint, it had both lower qtrs and one lower door skin replaced. There are so many products out there i dont know what to use, any help would be great.

A 2 part system is recommended. Primer + activator. For a novice I recommend talking to your paint supplier and get the type that is compatible with the brand topcoat you are using. There are lots of 'universal' types that work with any brand topcoat but definately do a little research. Sometimes mixing brands isn't a good idea.
I like to use a direct-to-metal type that doesn't need an etching primer. Probably every bodyman you talk to will have slightly different recommendations or advise. Just stick with something that's proven and you will be ok.
Also, definately use a respirator and adequate ventilation with any 2 part system. That stuff can (and will) set up in your lungs.
Dallas

I use ppg shopline JP202 2k primer surfacer/sealer.100.00 retail for a gallon of primer,hardner,and reducer.This product can be used as a surfacer or a sealer.I use a couple of top coats over it.Auto air,basf,ppg,no problems yet.

-
Back