Problem with 904

-

cchrishefish

Reaction score
I just installed a mopar performance steel 1 quart extra drain pan with a spacer gasket and filter from summitt. I installed this to eliminate the drain plug leak problem on the old pan. Now my car will not shift into 3rd gear. I checked the modulator valve to see if I knocked off a vacuum line, seems ok. I used dextron mercron tranny fluid. The kit came with a spacer which has a built in O ring. Is it possible that I put the spacer in wrong? I also shifted through all the gears and check the fluid while idling, and it is full.

ok...first problem...mopars trans 727/904 do not have modulator valves with vacuum lines..

they use a throttle pressure linkage that is hooked up to the carb...if the throttle linkage is not adjusted correctly it will not shift into 3rd

remove throttle linkage drive car and see if it shift....the trans will shift thru the gears rather quickly with it disconnected...

if it shifts into 3rd...readjust linkage...the linkage needs to be installed it changes the pressure to the clutch paks

Well, I solved the problem myself. I thought that if the transmission was fine before switching to a new larger tranny pan with spacer, then maybe there was something wrong with the Mopar spacer and filter. I took it apart and the answer was right there, I feel like a dummy. The problem was that the spacer and new filter in the kit had only one hole which I believe is the fluid feeder holes to the filter. I looked at the old filter and it had 2 holes for the fluid to run through. Therefore, on my 904, in order to run this pan, I needed a 2 hole spacer and 2 hole filter. I went to Napa and they told me that the 1 hole filter is for 1965 and later, and of course mine is a 1964. I am not a transmission expert, I am capable of removing a tranny, installing a clutch, etc. This was a learning experience for me that I will never forget. I installed the original pan with a new B&M drain plug, filter, and gasket. I topped off the fluid, no leaks, and I took her for a test ride, and presto, problem is gone. The best part is that I do not have a leaky pan and Summitt, after explaining the problem, will accept the Mopar Pan kit for a return!

Well, I solved the problem myself. I thought that if the transmission was fine before switching to a new larger tranny pan with spacer, then maybe there was something wrong with the Mopar spacer and filter. I took it apart and the answer was right there, I feel like a dummy. The problem was that the spacer and new filter in the kit had only one hole which I believe is the fluid feeder holes to the filter. I looked at the old filter and it had 2 holes for the fluid to run through. Therefore, on my 904, in order to run this pan, I needed a 2 hole spacer and 2 hole filter. I went to Napa and they told me that the 1 hole filter is for 1965 and later, and of course mine is a 1964. I am not a transmission expert, I am capable of removing a tranny, installing a clutch, etc. This was a learning experience for me that I will never forget. I installed the original pan with a new B&M drain plug, filter, and gasket. I topped off the fluid, no leaks, and I took her for a test ride, and presto, problem is gone. The best part is that I do not have a leaky pan and Summitt, after explaining the problem, will accept the Mopar Pan kit for a return!
Good for you and glad it worked out...

I think Type F or FA would be better than Mercon. Never heard of it being recommended for 727's or 904's.

-
Back