Problems Identifying and Matching up new Brake Calipers

-

soonercruiser

Reaction score
ANYONE RECOGNIZE THIS SPINDLE???

The MOPAR brake parts that were on my front wheels - parts numbers were for a 1970-73 Duster. Large single piston caliper.
**But, we've been through 2 separate Wilwood kits with that year matching, that neither fit!
**Is this a drum brake spindle????

(Yes, we are trying to identify any part numbers on it.)

old spindle.jpg

caliper and rotor.jpg

Last edited:
Well, first of all, 1970, 71, 72, A Body disc brakes were Kelsey Hayes 4 piston calipers.
You have 1973 and up "slider" type calipers, and the gravel shield, is 1973 up, so you should have a disc brake spindle.

Well, first of all, 1970, 71, 72, A Body disc brakes were Kelsey Hayes 4 piston calipers.
You have 1973 and up "slider" type calipers, and the gravel shield, is 1973 up, so you should have a disc brake spindle.
Thanks!

Question is, is that compatible with any newer low profile brake caliper kits?

there are many aftermarket brake kits. maybe you could tell us what you're trying to accomplish and we could help you out better.

i see that the caliper is spray painted and it has a big ol witness mark on it, so i'm gonna guess you're trying to find a "low profile" caliper to fit a specific rim.

there are many aftermarket brake kits. maybe you could tell us what you're trying to accomplish and we could help you out better.

i see that the caliper is spray painted and it has a big ol witness mark on it, so i'm gonna guess you're trying to find a "low profile" caliper to fit a specific rim.
Yes, the red monster is rubbing my new 14 inch wheels.
So, I am looking for a compatible low profile upgrade.

a lot of 14" aftermarket wheels don't work with stock 73~76 disc setups, even less work with aftermarket disc setups.

you'll need to measure your wheels and then consult the brake kit mfgr's wheel fitment diagrams to see if they're compatible.

here's one from wilwood as an example:

Messages Image(3484018886).png

-
Back