Project Riddler's Ride - 1976 Plymouth Duster

-

Riddler

Project EH-Body
Reaction score
Still working on a name for this car.
It's a 1976 Plymouth Duster that my wife bought me. Yeah that right, my WIFe bought this car for me for my birthday. No she's mine and no she doesn't have a sister! LOL
This is what the car looks like when we brought it home...
DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0234.jpg

DSC_0237.jpg

Overall a solid car from the USA. I'll be adding to this project long as time goes on.
Riddler

First things first. The interior smelled like Moth Balls. It was used to get the mice out of the car since it was stored in a barn. The entire interior was removed.

One Seat removed
DSC_0261.jpg

Both Seats removed
DSC_0262.jpg

Rear Seat and Carpet Removed
DSC_0263.jpg

The only rust I've found so far. Also note the center hump has had another hump installed over it with screws and seam sealer.
DSC_0265.jpg

Driver's Side Rust
DSC_0266.jpg

Well the interior is out, I've located and purchased a set of floor pans. Not sure I'll need them since it's mostly surface rust. I can prolly make due just patching with some small sheet metal cutouts for the holes.

Total dead mice found - 4

The plan is have the entire car blasted.

Riddler

Great project. I'm trying to get a 73 Duster not too far from me.

A lot of potential there. Looks like a great project.
C

Well I've started to disassemble the car down so that I can get it blasted.

IMG_5777.jpg

IMG_5778.jpg

Front end gettig stripped down first.
IMG_5786.jpg

Fenders came off once we found all the nuts.
IMG_5787.jpg

IMG_5789.jpg

Only surface rust. Woohoo!
IMG_5790.jpg

Riddler

Well the disassembly continues. This time I went to the back of the car and started to remove everything.

DSC_0336.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

The gas tank was brand new. At least that's what I've been told.
DSC_0341.jpg

DSC_0342.jpg

DSC_0343.jpg

This is going to be a larger job. Someone in the past has screwed down another (Volare/Aspen) center hump over the stock hump. Then they seam sealed it. Gonna have to grind the screw heads off a peel this center section off.
DSC_0344.jpg

This concludes this disassembly installment.

Riddler

Still working on a name for this car.
It's a 1976 Plymouth Duster that my wife bought me. Yeah that right, my WIFe bought this car for me for my birthday. No she's mine and no she doesn't have a sister! LOL

You and I have something very special here. My wife loves our cars. ( mostly mine...just trying to be politically correct ;) )

She has not bought me a car yet, but I bet it will happen one day. She only gets upset when I speak of selling any of them. and she is excited and happy when I buy one.

We have a child on the way ( due in March) and I am contemplating selling my 73 340 dart sport. But whenever I mention it She says there is something wrong with me. It is true, I don't need the money or anything, I just don't see myself getting to it any time soon, and hate to see it sit.

Good luck on the car...It may be alot of work and frusterating at ttimes, but in the end, it is allways worth it.

Phil

You and I have something very special here. My wife loves our cars. ( mostly mine...just trying to be politically correct ;) )

She has not bought me a car yet, but I bet it will happen one day. She only gets upset when I speak of selling any of them. and she is excited and happy when I buy one.

We have a child on the way ( due in March) and I am contemplating selling my 73 340 dart sport. But whenever I mention it She says there is something wrong with me. It is true, I don't need the money or anything, I just don't see myself getting to it any time soon, and hate to see it sit.

Good luck on the car...It may be alot of work and frusterating at ttimes, but in the end, it is allways worth it.

Phil

Don't sell it man!!!!!!! Just sit on that project for now until you have the time.

This is going to be a larger job. Someone in the past has screwed down another (Volare/Aspen) center hump over the stock hump. Then they seam sealed it. Gonna have to grind the screw heads off a peel this center section off.
DSC_0344.jpg

This concludes this disassembly installment.

Riddler

Good job on the disassembly. Check that Volare/Aspen shifter to see if it's a slap-stick. The one in my Volare is a slap-stick and I kept it when the car got junked 15 years ago. If yours is a slap-stick, do not toss it.

Wylde1.

My wife loves our cars.

Phil

Curently working on...
1973 dart sport 340 4spd
1972 Demon 4 spd
1970 duster 440 4spd
and
my fiance's 1965 barracuda

Sooooooooooooooooo....... It looks to me that you have a WIFE and a FIANCE. :cheers: Dude, you ARE my hero.:toothy10::toothy10:

Sooooooooooooooooo....... It looks to me that you have a WIFE and a FIANCE. :cheers: Dude, you ARE my hero.:toothy10::toothy10:
Thats funny. Remindds me of a car I saw somewhere. Could have been here. The car's name is "the mistress"

Phil

Good job on the disassembly. Check that Volare/Aspen shifter to see if it's a slap-stick. The one in my Volare is a slap-stick and I kept it when the car got junked 15 years ago. If yours is a slap-stick, do not toss it.

Wylde1.

How can I tell if it's a slap stick? I planned on resto-modding the car, I don't through anything away as parts sell at swap meets. :)

Yeah now that I have the car being disassembled, my wife has put her foot down on using a credit card. I'm required to finance this build with CASH money and overtime from work. :( I need a sugar-momma!

Riddler

How can I tell if it's a slap stick? I planned on resto-modding the car, I don't through anything away as parts sell at swap meets. :)

Yeah now that I have the car being disassembled, my wife has put her foot down on using a credit card. I'm required to finance this build with CASH money and overtime from work. :( I need a sugar-momma!

Riddler

Slap Stick - the way mine worked, press button on top of shifter and put into 1st position. Do not press button any other time. Now shove the shifter to 2nd position (remember do not press button on the shifter). The shifter should not got past 2nd position. Now rock the shifter slightly back towards 1st position (shifter will barely move and you might hear a little "click" sound). Slam the shifter forward to Drive (again without pressing the button). It should not go past Drive. Press the button as normal to select neutral, reverse or park. If it works like that you have a factory slap stick!

Sugar Momma? Hell, we all could use on of those! =P~

Wylde1.

When you get ready to re assemble the car, lose those ugly front and rear crash bumpers. Believe me, the car looks so much better with them off than on the car.

Speaking of those crash bumpers. What's the difference between all the bumpers for 73-76. The ones I pulled off have bumperettes and have shock mounts. I'd to use just the chrome bumper with a bracket. Will any model year brackets work for that?

Riddler

I am not sure of the differences in the bumperettes. I had those UGLY chrome and rubber style bumpers on my Duster and i just took em off and got the chrome bumper bolts. I think that the ones with the shocks were required by the NHTSA after a certain model year and that's why the later year Dusters and other vehicles of this period had these type of crash impact absorbers on the front and rear bumpers. I do not know if you can find just the chrome bumpers for this style bumper without the rubber attached. I do believe that the regular chrome bumpers will bolt up.

Well I got alot more done this weekend. I'm also finally up to date on the pictures. This is how the car is currently sitting...

Look ma, no glass...
DSC_0349.jpg

DSC_0350.jpg

DSC_0351.jpg

DSC_0352.jpg

Pictures of the glass out of the car.
Front:
DSC_0361.jpg

Rear:
DSC_0362.jpg

So this was my goal this weekend, to get the glass out. After about an hour I had it all out. So I went for bonus removal on items.

Started with the dash now since I could get to those bolts.
DSC_0353.jpg

DSC_0354.jpg

I figured the column would be very troublesome to get out. Nope the old owner had taken all the bolts, pins etc out and left them out. Just a quick pull and it came.
DSC_0355.jpg

DSC_0356.jpg

Now this this was all removed, we went to remove the brake booster and resivoir.
DSC_0358.jpg

Not much left to remove. Engine and tranny will come out when I can get a hoist. The rear end can come out anytime now.
DSC_0359.jpg

DSC_0363.jpg

While taking out the rear quarter glass I found something strange. The driver's side has an extra piece of metal. How odd!
DRIVER'S:
DSC_0364.jpg

PASSENGER'S:
DSC_0365.jpg

This had to be a factory error. The piece of metal was not cut out unless god himself removed it. No evidence of cutting or anything.

Finally I've been asked how I keep track of all the parts. Everything goes into bags and bins!
DSC_0357.jpg

Riddler

-
Back