proportioning valve

-

PostalBGraham

Reaction score
I recently replaced my front drum brakes with Kelsey-Hayes disc brakes. I replaced the Master Cylinder. The brakes are not power brakes. What kind of proportioning valve do I need? I saw advertised in Mopar Muscle a Kelsey-Hayes proportioning valve for $89. Is that a good price? Do I need anything special?

no. just a prop valve. you have a distribution block now. you can also just plumb in an adjustable prop valve between the dist block and the rear wheels. either way works.

I pulled a prop valve out of a 75 valiant with front discs down at the local junkyard. Cheap.

Go with the Wilwood or Mopar Performance (same part, different stickers) plumbed into the rear brake line. If you snag one from a donor car, it might not work right and/or it's designed for that weight and handling characteristics of that particular car. With a new adjustable one you can adjust to suit your car.

I plumbed mine under the drivers seat (outside under the floor) and I can just stop, open my door, reach underneath and adjust, then take off again. It's great!

-
Back